Register free!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Transformer Controlled by Wall Switch

Can a 120v outdoor wall switch be wired inside the transformer compartment? Or should it be wired in upstream of the transformer. I have a 300w Kichler and want to keep it within UL1838. Attached is a pic of the switch I will be using.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

You can have an electrician wire in a 120V switch to the dedicated receptacle for the transformer. I have had some tell me that you cannot have a switched receptacle and others have had no issues doing this for me. Perhaps one of our licensed ECs can clear this up?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you want a switch inside the transformer? Please explain your purpose and maybe we can help you better. The transformer already has secondary breaker switches inside the box so, technically, you could switch it on an off with that switch. If you are looking to control the circuits, or individual circuits coming out of the transformer, you can always install the switch you are describing anywhere along the line of that low voltage run. Simply break the circuit of that low voltage run by running one side of the 12/2 wire into the switch and then out of it. It's pretty simple and we do it all the time when someone wants to have a certain section of their lights separated from the rest of the system.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Why would you want a switch inside the transformer? Please explain your purpose and maybe we can help you better. The transformer already has secondary breaker switches inside the box so, technically, you could switch it on an off with that switch. If you are looking to control the circuits, or individual circuits coming out of the transformer, you can always install the switch you are describing anywhere along the line of that low voltage run. Simply break the circuit of that low voltage run by running one side of the 12/2 wire into the switch and then out of it. It's pretty simple and we do it all the time when someone wants to have a certain section of their lights separated from the rest of the system.
Chris,
I should have clarified my question. I would like to install this switch on a post along the pictured walkway to separate the lighting in the landscape from the dock lighting. What you described above is exactly what I was looking for (breaking the LV circuit with this switch).
Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes you can use a switch like that on the secondary side (LV) to control fixtures down stream from the transformer. Just be sure to use an appropriately sized switch for the load. I have seen 15A switches installed in this application when there was 18A on the circuit. People seem to forget that as voltage decreases, amperage increases.

20A switches are pretty easy to find...
Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
You can have an electrician wire in a 120V switch to the dedicated receptacle for the transformer. I have had some tell me that you cannot have a switched receptacle and others have had no issues doing this for me. Perhaps one of our licensed ECs can clear this up?
Yes it can be done. I did it in my garage for the air compressor.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Glad I could help Stan. Keep in mind that the switch can go anywhere along any home run from the transformer. For instance, if you've got a daisy chain of lights on a run and you want to isolate only the last few lights on that run, simply break the circuit somewhere before the lights you want to control but after the last light on the run that will remain operational with the rest of the design. Have fun!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guy. One more follow-up issue. Switch was placed between transformer and first fixture. As pictured below, both commons are on the bottom terminal, both hots on top terminal. Switch is in "OFF" position and fixtures are illuminated. I flip the switch to "ON" and the transformer breaker flips.

Something's not right here?
Attached Images

Last edited by Stuttering Stan; 08-13-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

You only switch one side of the circuit.

Pick one conductor of the 12/2 wire. The 'hot" (from the transformer) goes to the bottom terminal of the switch. The 'load' (to the fixtures) goes to the top terminal of the switch. The other two conductors get joined inside the switch box.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, what James said. To make it a little easier, as well as avoid an additional connector, I will typically split the home run wire and only run one conductor (only one side of the 12/2 wire) up and into the j-box. You then have only one wire to deal with.... one going into the switch and one coming out. You can simply bury the slack wire under the switch location. I hope this is clear enough, but you can always call me directly if not. 904-614-7208. Leave a message as I don't normally answer out of state calls due to solicitors.