Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll have to ask my secretary who she was talking to. I remember she called Vision3 to get someone. In the meantime, here's a link to Vision3's Canadian dealer listing -

http://www.vision3lighting.com/contact-us/reploc/canada
Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's who we dealt with, he's in Houston but could probably still help.

Paul McWilliams – Ferguson - 713-412-9990
Old 12-07-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

James,

I've recently realized that the V3 downlight will leak via the wire-way through the knuckle. During a recent service call in New England, I found a number of downlights with the lens "blown out" by the force of freezing water. In each case, the fixture was mounted under or rotated below 90 degrees on the branch. Water filled the Greenlee T boxes I've used for years and found it's way into the fixture after pooling in the T box.

In the future, I will only use the V3 FL11 with a side-mounted knuckle as a downlight. I think it will allow me to mount the down light on the side of a branch with the knuckle oriented to drain back to the tree. In addition I have stopped using any mounting j-box that attempts to be "water tight." I decided to treat all "sealed" mounts as potential reservoirs.

Tom
Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the info Tom. I was actually considering using the V3 DL1 fixture for this architectural application. It is a straight down light, no knuckle. The client has since decided to postpone the project.

In the future, if you are looking for a completely water proof (IP68 no less) downlight for tree mounted applications, I would encourage you to check out the new Hyperion fixture from Illumicare. http://www.illumicaregroup.com/2011/11/hyperion/ It comes with a 30' long, factory installed / sealed, SJOW 16/2, lead wire which generally eliminates the need to make messy and unsightly connections in the tree. This is a category killer in my opinion.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like using the V3 DL1 for the subtle play of movement in moonlighted shadows.

A "category killer" sounds dangerous... How well do they get along with in-grades?

As for being a first... HK has produced submersible bullets since Jan designed the Chicago Botanical Garden... I think that was 2004.

Tom
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Sponsor

Wow, James this is weird, in fact it's uncanny. Both your new precision fixtures are like our new generation Top Dog and new Tree light/downlight that we have been working on for a long time and are formally releasing shortly. Although I am disappointed at their similarity, all I can say is I guess great minds think alike. Then again it is not that surprising as the adjustable glare guard makes a lot of sense.

I must give credit where it's due... was first done (as far as I know) by the Big Smoky (Lightcraft) by Eric Sassower and his partner Bruce Dennis. We made changes and updates and did our version with the Top Dog, and now we are doing a second generation (complete redesign)).

I normally don't picture our CAD drawings or show new items until they are in stock for sale, however in this case I have to so you are aware that we did not copy you (nor you us).

Your "category killer" is very nice. I like it. Our focus was to make it impossible for water to enter, give the installer complete glare control with a very large adjustable glare guard, to enable wide 60 degree beam spreads (even with the glare guard extended), be LED ready, and be adjustable in infinite increments in all directions.

Differences i see between the two....to prevent water from leaking down the lead wire (because even pressure fittings can fail) we have it enter from below (water will never go up the wire). Our knuckle is not connected internally so no water can enter the fixture thru the knuckle. Our glare guard can be adjusted in and out like our Top Dog fixture so you can control the amount of glare protection. The glare guard is very long and flared. It is both LED compatible with its heat fins. I don't want to give away all our secrets (and had no intention of showing this) so I will only show the Downlight for now. But I will say our new top Dog looks very similar to your new up light.

I would normally not post our fixture in the same thread as where you posted your fixture, nor compare them. However in this case because they are so similar, we have been working on it for a year, I want to make sure that it was not perceived that we saw yours and produced a similar item.

Good luck with your new line and welcome to the world of fixture manufacturing.

Sincerely,

Alan
Attached Images

(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 12-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Sponsor

Generation2 Volt® Top Dog fixtures. I really didn't want to post them until full production inventory was in stock. Oh well.
Attached Images

(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Old 12-09-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"James this is weird, in fact it's uncanny" ?!?!?!

James, Alan. Do you think we all were born yesterday?

Come on... Tell us where you're importing your product from...

Tom
Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Sponsor

Tom,

It's no surprise VOLT makes its fixtures made overseas just like every other significant landscape lighting manufacturer except Vista (as far as I know). I know nothing about James fixtures (except that he used to lambast chinese made fixtures before he became a manu dig dig joke joke )... However I personally sketched our fixture design completely from scratch (not a copy or redo of an existing sample or product). Made several generations of changes, CNC one off samples made molds made etc.. I have a close relationship with our factory (in fact was just there 4 weeks ago) and have a dedicated floor of the building. Now it is possible that my factory 're-used my design' but I truly doubt it. The reason is James was discussing his design way back before he was a sponsor so he's been working on his a long time also. Also since I posted, I realized they are not all that similar. I thought James fixture had an adjustable glare guard, a separe piece that moves. he doesn't, his is fixed. I really do think it is a coincidence about our fixtures.

I don't want to make too much of it. I'm proud of our fixtures and James look like very nice quality as well. I called James right after posting-- he's on vacation and we are good. I bet they are both incredible quality and values. VOLT listened to contractors to design ours, and James is a contractor so he knows what needed to be done as well. It's crazy to think the to this point it's been hard to find a tree downlight that was both water proof (always/guaranteed) and had glare protection and enabled full wide BAB beam spreads. I think it's great that contractors and the industry will be getting improvements.
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clearly, in a global economy that is fueled by silicon, an idea will travel around the world with the speed of light.

Tom