Register free!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Steve,

I have been very happy with the Cast tree light. I have and still use many of them in a large tree application.
I have had some moments when it has been a challange to reduce the glare that is being created from the inside of the shroud.
Is there any way to paint or dull this portion of the shroud at the factory?

Regards,

Ken
Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emby View Post
Hey Steve,

I have been very happy with the Cast tree light. I have and still use many of them in a large tree application.
I have had some moments when it has been a challange to reduce the glare that is being created from the inside of the shroud.
Is there any way to paint or dull this portion of the shroud at the factory?

Regards,

Ken
Ken, thanks, it's a good idea and we've considered it - quite a bit of extra time and labor involved - not a simple matter to prep the surface, apply paint or stain evenly to the inside of shroud, then be concerned with chipping, flaking, or scratching the surface over the life of the fixture.

If you want to do it yourself, the best way to get a durable layer of flat black oxidation is to apply a solution of ammonia, liver of sulphur, and spreader/sticker. You can find the procedure and sources for the ingredients in this article.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 12-12-2011, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks very much Steve. Thats great!!

Ken
Old 08-19-2015, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
Scott,

I hear you and agree with the first 2 points (leak proof and great glare protection). I'm not sure about enabling full BAB or 60 degree beam spreads.

Again it's my understanding that the Cast tree light is awesome and one of the few that does not leak and has great glare protection. From the one I handled (about a year ago) I thought that the very long glare guard being narrow and long like a cannon, it would give great glare protection however I'm not sure how it would be physically possible to have a 60 degree (or wide beam spread with it). Even though it has a long angle/big opening at the end, it would be physically impossible for it not to be blocking much of the beam spread of the lamp.

Since 20 w 60 degree lamps are the goto lamp for most downlights, to me it makes sense that fixture should ALSO enable a full 60 degrees of beam spread. Again, I agree with you on the first 2 points and that said, up until now I hear that Cast makes one of the (if not the best) tree lights out there. If it can enable a full 60 degree beam spread... even better.

Regarding the VOLT design, the glare guard is flared so it gets wider to lessen any blocking of wide beam spreads while also providing glare protection. That's simple physics. Being adjustable in and out the contractor can control how much glare protection they need and can control how wide the beam spread. Lastly, seals can fail. The Volt design makes it impossible to get water in the fixture because water will not fall up and there are no downward entry points into the inside of the fixture.

I just don't get the most recent post about glare shields and beam spreads when this person had already answered his own question back in 2010......I am very confused but can only guess that it was a lure to entice...

I am really trying hard to be nice and offer as much information to interested individuals that want to learn landscape lighting when visiting this site but I can't figure out the intelligence on the recent posts other than to be negative and enticing us to chime in and eventually get banned so the pathetic ranting can go on....Come on please let up will ya....Drop it, move on please....

Last edited by emby; 08-19-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL!!! I love this guy, emby. This is what's the most funny to me: Your intention is to shut them up and prevent them from gaining more traction because you simply hate what they are doing with their business model. When, in fact, every post from you that is directed toward them is doing nothing more than drawing attention to them and begging everyone who happens across any of these posts to look further into it. That is so hilarious!!!!!!! I've mentioned it in other threads, but the one and only reason that I know about Volt is because I logged onto this site again about a year ago after a very long layoff. I noticed that a few people were harping about this company that I knew nothing about, but figured they must be something because of the hatred they were receiving at the time. Just because I like factual info, I decided to give them a shot before I made my opinion known...... and I'll be damned if this wasn't the single most explosive thing that has happened to me in 16 years. A product that I don't get called back on because of defective fixtures that have gone out almost immediately after installation.
If I had three wishes, one of them would be to expose me to more haters. It seems that these guys are the most valuable voices that I could possibly hear and I sincerely thank you for helping me find these products while simultaneously helping me drastically increase my yearly net income. Seriously, thank you. I would not have known about them if you hadn't been complaining so much. Good job guys. Keep them complaints coming!!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL...good way to look at it but.....

I thought it was pretty funny reading Steve and Alan bickering and lo and behold look whats going on today...

Who cares if they are getting the attention, look at those glare bombs at the top of the page....ouch....

Have fun being loyal with that....Just kidding Chris....All good my friend.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Glare is in the eyes of the beholder (those that choose the wrong lighting contractor). These days I'm loyal to only myself and my company. I enjoy reading your posts and I have no ill will toward you or anyone else. Keep posting your comments and opinions......... that's what this forum is all about.