Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Dump Trailers

Been looking at buying a dump trailer, but the more i look at them and the cost.... The more i wonder if someone can even justify the cost of owning one? Most of our jobs are $2000- $10000 "softscaping" jobs. Normally we have been getting mulch delivered and it is figured in our bids. Not sure if us owning one and paying one of the guys at 12/hr to go get it is efficient? Just asking for a couple of opinions
Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you own a dump truck?
We find running the dump trailer with the dump truck doing edging and mulching is a big benefit as we only have to move materials once. Also we use it for transport of the skidsteer. So it is multi purpose for us. Also the low load height often makes it a better choice for logs. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

No sir do not own a dump truck. But we do own a dingo that the trailer would also double as an equipment trailer for it and a couple pallets of sod also. I would b pulling the trailer with our ford 450 so truck really isnt an issue. But i also know that i could buy a cheaper gooseneck trailer that would work jus as well hauling dingo and sod for less money
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an f550 with a nice Bri-Mar dump trailer. It's the best set-up. Super efficient. Like you I also have a Dingo. Working out of the dump trailer is so nice- sits lower, can tilt it up to shovel out mulch, Dingo can dump over the side...

Buy a dump trailer. Trust me.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 10-31-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What size dump trailer are you looking at? gooseneck or bumper pull?

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 10-31-2011, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Bri-Mar 7x12 low profile trailer. I love it and it's the only thing I have that dumps. Does double duty as the tractor hauler and hauls the Z rider for fall cleanups too...ground up leaves in front and mower in back. The low loading height is a real plus for me since I work solo most of the time....I can lift pretty heavy stuff up to my knees (trailer height). I have the pull-out equpment ramps which I will use to slide heavy stuff into the dump bed too. The only problem is the amount of room needed to manuever it ....can't always put the front end of the truck where I'd need to...not the rig you want if you need to get materials into back yards a lot. I also like that I can haul 3.5 tons/8 yards with my Silverado 2500HD. I'd need a pretty good sized dump truck to get that kind of load capacity. Another plus is that I used to sub out brush chipping on jobs where I generated a lot of it. I can get a LOT of brush on that trailer if I break it down a bit so now I keep that revenue in-house.

FYI, I do mostly maintenance and softscape. If I did more hardscape I'd probably want a dump truck.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Tkanks guys. KrazyKajun i would prefer a gooseneck with 24"-36" sides simply so that the dingo could dump over the sides and not just into the back
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also own a Dingo and bought a dump trailer about 6 years ago and it was one of the best investments I made.

Reasons for a dump trailer:
1 Do not need insurance
2 Low maintenance ( tires only )
3 Can be left on a job for employees to use while I go to another job or to pick up additional materials
4 use as equipment trailer and a dump trailer

All and all it has been a huge money saver for me but sometimes a dump truck would be nice but not enough for me to purchase one I will keep my trailer for now.

7x14 PJ 14,000# paid just under $6000 new
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My insurance agent said that I DO need insurance on my dump trailer, so I have it.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like he might be double dipping but my truck insurance covers any trailer that I might be towing such as my boat my dump trailer or my neighbors camper.