Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LED vs Incondencent

I understand the advantages of LED such as more lights per string, more lights per circuit, less extension cord, less timers, longevity of bulbs, lower electrical costs etc. I am confident I can get many customers to go LED over incandescent for all those factors. But one thing I usually recommend with Landscape lighting is to not do LED for well lights, and spot lights as snow will build on them during the winter wear as with incandescents the heat will melt the snow and you wont loose the lights under a storm. How big of a factor is this with holiday lighting? I'm picturing snow covering the effect of LEDs on shrubs and then ice hanging from LED light links and roof line strings
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You will be fine in Boston, I have never had any problems here.

The Led c-9 will actually melt a little bit around them, not enough to clear the snow from them but they will show thru the snow. We had a couple of big storms back to back last year and didnt have any problems with over a foot of snow on them.

Never had any ice build up on either linkable, and the mini's really dont have any difference in snow either.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do not even offer incandescent bulbs because they break too easily and cause power issues if your dealing with a lot of bulbs. With LED you can power a whole house from one timer and outlet.

I have one house with 4700 M6 LEDs on 1598' of strands running on one outlet powered by a single cord.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to look into led more...Around here there are some places with well over 1000k of roof line..driveways and walkways...and managing power is tricky..we shall see..led is the only way to go as I see it..just have to start offering it ..though the price difference tends to have people shy away..
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I see your point totally about them shying away because of the price, but...they will pay for in electric.

I know this is just a little different but to give you a idea what the difference is...

I have a gadget to plug in things and it measures how much juice it pulls, one night for the dumb of it I pluged in the night light with just a normal bulb and it showed that it pulled 2.50 watts, so then next I went and plugged in a LED night light and it registered at 0.00 watts. It did not even pull 1/100th of a watt!!

I was amazed!!!

I am not sure how many watts a christmas light would draw but I know LED would be a lot less!

Would be interesting to test a whole string of lights and see how much they draw.

Maybe that could be a way of selling LEDs, get yourself a meter and plug one of each in and show them the difference in electric that they use.

The Best Power Washing Company Serving Harrisburg PA also offering Awesome Roof Cleaning Results Around Mechanicsburg to Hershey PA Got ugly Battery Acid Stains And Wonder How To Remove Rust Stains The Best Way To Save Your Concrete Is to Seal Your Concrete Stop The Violence in Your Town With Our Graffiti Removal Service
Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

To give you an idea, c-9 bulbs rule of thumb
Incandescent can have 200 on a circuit
Led can go to 1200
No brainer, the customer will recoup the cost of material in electric savings in short order
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow what a difference!! You know it would pay off!!

The Best Power Washing Company Serving Harrisburg PA also offering Awesome Roof Cleaning Results Around Mechanicsburg to Hershey PA Got ugly Battery Acid Stains And Wonder How To Remove Rust Stains The Best Way To Save Your Concrete Is to Seal Your Concrete Stop The Violence in Your Town With Our Graffiti Removal Service
Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see the light.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
To give you an idea, c-9 bulbs rule of thumb
Incandescent can have 200 on a circuit
Led can go to 1200
No brainer, the customer will recoup the cost of material in electric savings in short order
Posted via Mobile Device
Most only think about the electricity savings, start explaining to the customer the longevity of the bulbs and lower maintenance cost and the led sale is even easier. At least that is my experience with landscape lighting, hopefully it works as well with holiday lighting
Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

True. Start there and work backwards...
Posted via Mobile Device