Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-01-2011, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Direct injection gas engines?

If you keep up on automobile technology you will be familiar with direct injection in gasoline engines. Ford has invested a lot of research into it and it has been in production cars for several years. Now I'm wondering how long it will be before riding mower engines will be built with this technology.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless emissions regulations force it, I'm thinking a very long time. Here we are 25 years after fuel injection gained widespread use in cars and fuel injection is still a novelty in outdoor power equipment. With the new simplified injection systems coming out you are starting to see more and more of it now.

Here is a quick case study of Kohler's new closed loop system. http://bcove.me/rm2cfv2y

Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also remember direct injection requires very high fuel pressure. Its going to be an expensive option if its ever available.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a shame. I agree with Richard. I blame the slow EFI sales on these damn shade-tree, country-bumpkin, dealer mechanics who cant get they're heads around simple 25 year old technology. They scare the owners of these dealerships into not selling them.

I'd love to see DI though. Just think....big block(999cc) power and torque in a 725cc package with the economy of a 600cc engine!

I got all excited when I read Kohler's full page ad in the latest turf about NEW EFI's coming October 27th at the Expo. Went to look at their website, and it's just the E85 compatable 29hp that they've had all Summer. Was really hoping for a Big Block EFI of some sort.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
If you keep up on automobile technology you will be familiar with direct injection in gasoline engines. Ford has invested a lot of research into it and it has been in production cars for several years. Now I'm wondering how long it will be before riding mower engines will be built with this technology.

20 years after it becomes widely used in automobiles, which is still years off. And even then it might be 20 more after that before it becomes the norm. Look how long Exmark had an EFI Lazer, and it's still a small fraction of the market.

Costs of the technology will come down in time. But here is something to think about. If we have relatively low inflation for the next 20 years, like the previous 20, a new ZTR in 2030 will be upwards of $20k. Some will probably be over $25k. So adding a $2-3000 direct injection engine option would be a drop in the bucket.

Last edited by Keith; 11-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.