Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what are you doing with your leaves? windrowing them to the center and then mulch/bag?....looks good either way
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttaluv View Post
what are you doing with your leaves? windrowing them to the center and then mulch/bag?....looks good either way
We use a trac-vac system with my f1445 front mount.

Usually we'll use the BP blowers to get them out from around the home, ect, and then I will vacuum up the leaves,

And dump in the woods on the customers property. We also can haul the leaves away if needed in our enclosed trailer.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 11-22-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No action shots?

I thought about mounting my cyclone rake to my 1445, but its so Dang long for smaller properties.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last week we finished our fall cleanups, washed all the eqiupment including the enclosed trailer, then stuffed it as full as possible.

Only a couple things are left out under a tarp for the winter: my 757 z and the trac-vac leaf trailer. Gotta wait for snow now.....

Here are some new pics:
Attached Images

05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
No action shots?

I thought about mounting my cyclone rake to my 1445, but its so Dang long for smaller properties.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll have to take some action shots of the vacuum in action in spring.

Yeah I hear you about a 1445 being large! But the front mount deck is so nice for underneath limbs, ect.

The hydro deck lift is great for swallowing large piles of leaves, -

Sometimes it helps also to slow the blades down to going into vacuuming a bunch of leaves. - also prevents the chute from clogging up as much.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
I'll have to take some action shots of the vacuum in action in spring.

Yeah I hear you about a 1445 being large! But the front mount deck is so nice for underneath limbs, ect.

The hydro deck lift is great for swallowing large piles of leaves, -

Sometimes it helps also to slow the blades down to going into vacuuming a bunch of leaves. - also prevents the chute from clogging up as much.
Is yours a 60" or 72"? I know I read it at one time, but its hard to remember who has what. Not sure the chute or hose size of your trac vac, but on the cyclone rake I never really clog it, unless a stick gets stuck sideways. But then again, I don't have it on a front mount. Mine has a 60" by the way. Hard to bog it down on the beast, plus the fuel usage is the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
My new mower:
A J.D. Quik-Trak 657 54" deck.
I love the feel of standing while mowing for a change from always sitting on the z's and my front mount.

I see more green! haha. What made you go with this rather than like a wright stander? Love the chevy, do you use it for work only or is it also a personal truck?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe you have taken off the chute deflectors on all your JD 7 Iron decks, right?

I have a 717A, 7 Iron (not II). Yes, I like the 7 Iron deck as you. But, I have found that using the chute deflector is important for better cover of debris dispersal. In early Spring, and late Fall, the chute is fully down. This provides a more directed flow of material, less spray. When the grass is heavy, I raise up the end a couple of inches. It helps spread heavy clippings better when in that position.

I need to raise the chute for trailer transport. I have a light chain attached to the height adjustment control, running down to the end of the chute (bolt with large fender washers). I have an S-hook at the top. When I need to raise the chute for transport, the chute comes up, the hook finds the best link. During the use when I want to raise the end a couple of inches, I raise it, finding the best link for the S-hook.

In my experience (I'm working in SW PA), having the chute fully raised (equivalent to taking it off), I will have slight windrows about 3-6 feet from the discharge. Having it fully down, I get a wider dispersal, starting at about 2 feet, extending to 6-8 feet away. I see less windrowing with it fully down (unless the growth is heavy, then I raise the end a couple of inches as noted above).

Just my $0.02 from experience with the 7 Iron deck.

I only use mine part time, a bit more than 1,800 hours in five seasons.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Is yours a 60" or 72"? I know I read it at one time, but its hard to remember who has what. Not sure the chute or hose size of your trac vac, but on the cyclone rake I never really clog it, unless a stick gets stuck sideways. But then again, I don't have it on a front mount. Mine has a 60" by the way. Hard to bog it down on the beast, plus the fuel usage is the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
I see more green! haha. What made you go with this rather than like a wright stander? Love the chevy, do you use it for work only or is it also a personal truck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I believe you have taken off the chute deflectors on all your JD 7 Iron decks, right?

I have a 717A, 7 Iron (not II). Yes, I like the 7 Iron deck as you. But, I have found that using the chute deflector is important for better cover of debris dispersal. In early Spring, and late Fall, the chute is fully down. This provides a more directed flow of material, less spray. When the grass is heavy, I raise up the end a couple of inches. It helps spread heavy clippings better when in that position.

I need to raise the chute for trailer transport. I have a light chain attached to the height adjustment control, running down to the end of the chute (bolt with large fender washers). I have an S-hook at the top. When I need to raise the chute for transport, the chute comes up, the hook finds the best link. During the use when I want to raise the end a couple of inches, I raise it, finding the best link for the S-hook.

In my experience (I'm working in SW PA), having the chute fully raised (equivalent to taking it off), I will have slight windrows about 3-6 feet from the discharge. Having it fully down, I get a wider dispersal, starting at about 2 feet, extending to 6-8 feet away. I see less windrowing with it fully down (unless the growth is heavy, then I raise the end a couple of inches as noted above).

Just my $0.02 from experience with the 7 Iron deck.

I only use mine part time, a bit more than 1,800 hours in five seasons.

Jim - my 1445 has the 72" deck. The trac-vac hoses are 8" in diameter and wouldn't use anything smaller then 8" if possible.
The yanmar deisel is a BEAST! Great fuel economy too!

Green man - Thanks! I didn't demo any stander then the J.D. since my dealer only sells the green ones.
Although I may demo the new J.D./wright stander that will be out for 2013 I think. i have heard alot of good things about the wright standers.
My Chevy is for work and some personel use too. I use to drive a chevy - 6.0 gasser, But got sick of the MPG pulling my enclosed.

Roger - thanks for your detailed review of the 7iron deck cutting and discharge of clippings.
I have removed the blockers from the mowers. I installed a blocker on my 930 z. So around homes/people,ect - I close it down.
I feel the clippings from the WI lawns shoot very well for us even when moist from morning dew.
I have not had any cluping or windrow issues with the chute blockers removed.
If the lawns are soaked from a quick rain, and were just trying to finish the current job, then it will clump a bit.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Roger - thanks for your detailed review of the 7iron deck cutting and discharge of clippings.
I have removed the blockers from the mowers. I installed a blocker on my 930 z. So around homes/people,ect - I close it down.
I feel the clippings from the WI lawns shoot very well for us even when moist from morning dew.
I have not had any cluping or windrow issues with the chute blockers removed.
If the lawns are soaked from a quick rain, and were just trying to finish the current job, then it will clump a bit.
I think you mean deflectors, not blockers, right?

I use a blocker on my 717A for leaves -- blocking the entire chute for zero discharging of debris. But, its use is only a simple stop-gap measure for a first pass of leaf mulching, followed by another pass with the blocker removed and full discharge force from the chute.