Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Terra Star, F-550?

We are going to be purchasing a heavier truck. We have an f-350 diesel dump which is great but needs to be put on lighter duty. The new truck will do most of the heavy material hauling for our landscape/masonry business as well as equipment moving etc. All of our other trucks are fords and they have kept us happy for the most part so when thinking of a newer heavier (at least 19k gvw) truck is automatically thought f 550. But recently I have also been looking at the international terra star which is a solid medium duty truck for just a tad more than a 550.

I just wanted to get some feedback from others out there that have medium duty trucks. Mits, ford, freightliner whatever and hear what you have to say.

Does any one specifically own a new terra star with the max force engine?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Terre star will have the same 6.4 that ford used to have in thier trucks. That right there is a hudge turn off. Right now Ford and Dodge have a ton of rebates. The Dodge 4500 - 5500 chassis look nice too,you may want to take a look at them.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the 6.4 is supposed to be a good engine but a pig on fuel...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the terrastar seems to be the closest thing to a replacement for the Gm medium duties. same tranny. similar body and size. in my opinion i would look for a used low mile GM. similar truck with what in my opinion is a much better engine.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would take a step up to a durastar 4300.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

F750 or 650
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We too are in the same boat. We just demoe'd a terrastar yesterday and I think we are going to go with this over the F550. For us we felt the added little bit of payload and a bit beefier truck overcame the fact of needing 4x4 with the f550. The terrastar with a plow and sander loaded shouldn't really need 4x4. We are still on the fence about the new ford diesels and don't hear many good thinngs. The terrastar diesel is apparently internationals own diesel and we have had good luck with our other three internationals and it looks a hell of a lot easier to work on. Let us know what you decide. I am awaiting final numbers on the truck we are spec'ing. Perhaps we should compare?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you hearing on the new fords ? Is what you are hearing coming from people you know or stuff you are reading ? My ford tech has only seen two come back so far but I need to figure out now if I should dump my 6.0 truck and go to a new 6.7 or buy another duramax. This will just be my personal work truck other wise I would just buy a gas truck for the guys as my crews dont really rack up alot of miles per year.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
What are you hearing on the new fords ? Is what you are hearing coming from people you know or stuff you are reading ? My ford tech has only seen two come back so far but I need to figure out now if I should dump my 6.0 truck and go to a new 6.7 or buy another duramax. This will just be my personal work truck other wise I would just buy a gas truck for the guys as my crews dont really rack up alot of miles per year.
when i looked at new trucks in 06-07 ford guys said the 6.0 was great. when i bougth my 08 with the 6.4 the ford guys said they are great. now the ford guys say the suck and i had to go through the lemon law with mine. stay away form the 6.4 unless you chip and dpf delete it. they smoke like crazy and mine is almost always in regen

not to mention...ford cannot even put a fuel tank in a commerical truck without it delaminating. im on my 3rd in my f550. nothing like replacing sending units, fuel pumps, injectors, a $980 fuel tank, etc all because after 100 years ford cant get it right and blame in on fuel. well now that they know there is bad fuel why cant they correct my replacement tanks?

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Supercuts
They have a new poly tank out now in the aftermarket . Ford has metal problems, look at the oil pan problems or brake lines that rust out , same goes for the trans oil cooler lines. I would not buy a international terrastar simply due to the problems I have had and seen with the 6.0 and 6.4 ford trucks.Having a tilt front end would be a nice to have. Does International have a better fuel filtration system than the ford ? How about brakes are the terrastar brakes larger ? If we were to buy an International it would be one with the DT466.