Register free!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Night Vision/Thermal Infrared???? Does any one have one????

I bought a cheaper Night Vision scope and I am very unhappy with it. So what I am looking at is the Thermal imaging infrared scope. But before I put out 4 K I want to be sure I am buying the Best model.

Can anyone help me.

BTW I have been using a Green Laser light for Hog Hunting and while it kind of works, I want something better. FLIR.com seems to be the people that Build all the Military/Police models.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Sponsor

I suspect that the model on the site you quoted is more than likely top of the line from a civilian market standpoint. If your wanting any thing better you are probably SOL since any better technology has sales restrictions imposed by the U.S. government particularly since 911.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you buy a Yukon?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I suspect that the model on the site you quoted is more than likely top of the line from a civilian market standpoint. If your wanting any thing better you are probably SOL since any better technology has sales restrictions imposed by the U.S. government particularly since 911.
easy-lift guy
4th Generation Night Vision scopes are not restricted from civilian purchase. I am sure Military scopes are a lot better. The Problem was I only paid under $ 200 and good Night Vision scopes Start around $ 2,000 and UP.

OK now I am ready to pull the trigger on the expensive model. But before I do I want as much input as possible. So I am doing my home work and studying hard so I will get an A.

So far I have decided I need a Thermal Imaging Infrared Scope. A good infrared scope can spot prey behind heavy brush etc. Law enforcement use them to find criminals on the run very successfully. The Next question is WHICH ONE?? I am willing to pay a tad more for a company that has good service after the sale. Of course every salesman will sing a great song.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 12-15-2014, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
easy-lift guy
No they're not restricted, though the very best stuff is generally unavailable as it is "sold out" to military purposes, but that's in the MEGA bucks range stuff. If you wanted to dump 40 grand on a camera, there are plenty on the retail market. But domestically produced night vision and thermal imagers are regulated under ITAR arms export restrictions.
Not an issue unless you put your scope up on eBay and ship it to another country.

I own an ITT Gen 3 monocular (some would call it gen 3+; gen 4 BTW does not exist). At work, I frequently use a FLIR E8 thermal imager. The night vision might be useful for hunting, but the resolution on a $4000 thermal imager just isn't good enough, even though thermal imaging would be far superior for other reasons (since it can spot hot objects). It does however give a great image of circuit breaker panels to spot hot connections (the kind of stuff I usually use it for), and I once used it to see if a bald faced hornets nest I sprayed was still active a few days later (the thermal signature was just barely visible from about 15' away).

Don't be fooled BTW. FLIR does not have a lock on the market. Just a big name.

Oh, and one look in my night vision monocular completely kills the night vision in that eye. Anything with a screen that you look at with both eyes is going to really make fumbling around in the dark interesting.

Last edited by rlitman; 12-15-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
No they're not restricted, though the very best stuff is generally unavailable as it is "sold out" to military purposes, but that's in the MEGA bucks range stuff. If you wanted to dump 40 grand on a camera, there are plenty on the retail market. But domestically produced night vision and thermal imagers are regulated under ITAR arms export restrictions.
Not an issue unless you put your scope up on eBay and ship it to another country.

I own an ITT Gen 3 monocular (some would call it gen 3+; gen 4 BTW does not exist). At work, I frequently use a FLIR E8 thermal imager. The night vision might be useful for hunting, but the resolution on a $4000 thermal imager just isn't good enough, even though thermal imaging would be far superior for other reasons (since it can spot hot objects). It does however give a great image of circuit breaker panels to spot hot connections (the kind of stuff I usually use it for), and I once used it to see if a bald faced hornets nest I sprayed was still active a few days later (the thermal signature was just barely visible from about 15' away).

Don't be fooled BTW. FLIR does not have a lock on the market. Just a big name.

Oh, and one look in my night vision monocular completely kills the night vision in that eye. Anything with a screen that you look at with both eyes is going to really make fumbling around in the dark interesting.
What are you using Thermal Imaging for in your day time job??? Do have have any suggestion on different Manufactures than FLIR. I know they do a lot of Government work.

I have pretty much decided I want Infrared thermal imaging. IMHO Thermal does the Hunting for you. Any warm body pops up in the field of view.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
What are you using Thermal Imaging for in your day time job??? Do have have any suggestion on different Manufactures than FLIR. I know they do a lot of Government work.

I have pretty much decided I want Infrared thermal imaging. IMHO Thermal does the Hunting for you. Any warm body pops up in the field of view.

Inspection of electrical components for bad connections. But once you have one handy, you start to use it on all sorts of stuff like looking for roof leaks, or searching for drafts and leaky windows, or testing out your car's heated seats (or your new Milwaukee heated jacket). I had a co-worker borrow it and find the location of a wasp nest hidden in his walls. They're supposedly also good for finding termites.

The issue with a thermal imager is that the resolution is pretty low (think worse than cell phone camera from 2002), and what I have has no magnification. So an animal may be glowing in infrared, but it may end up being only be a single glowing pixel unless it's pretty close.

Oh, and leaves are surprisingly warm. Especially against a night sky, which is freezing cold.

Unfortunately, I really have not shopped the whole market for thermal imagers. Just the ones that were made for my purposes (inspection). Hopefully someone else with more "field" experience with them will chime in.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Inspection of electrical components for bad connections. But once you have one handy, you start to use it on all sorts of stuff like looking for roof leaks, or searching for drafts and leaky windows, or testing out your car's heated seats (or your new Milwaukee heated jacket). I had a co-worker borrow it and find the location of a wasp nest hidden in his walls. They're supposedly also good for finding termites.

The issue with a thermal imager is that the resolution is pretty low (think worse than cell phone camera from 2002), and what I have has no magnification. So an animal may be glowing in infrared, but it may end up being only be a single glowing pixel unless it's pretty close.

Oh, and leaves are surprisingly warm. Especially against a night sky, which is freezing cold.

Unfortunately, I really have not shopped the whole market for thermal imagers. Just the ones that were made for my purposes (inspection). Hopefully someone else with more "field" experience with them will chime in.

Yes I have seen that type of Infrared and even heard it can spot some kinds of cancer. A friend bought a house and the Home inspector he hired had a nice hand held model.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
that type of Infrared and even heard it can spot some kinds of cancer
They're all pretty much the same in the way they work. I have a selection of color palettes I can choose from. The images above are in Flir "Iron", but a "white is hot" palette that you may be more familiar with is an option too.

Actually, for hunting, you can setup a palette that is black/white, but highlights anything over a threshold in another color (say red), so animals would stand out in red against a colorless background.

I would not expect it to find cancer. It can see if some part of your skin is warmer than some other part. That would show you a sunburn, or infection/inflammation etc.