Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Had a good day with add-ons, about 6k spread over 3 customers. but no new customers since yesterday last post. a few calls and appointments. the frenzy really has not started yet. I think it may this weekend.

also continue to sell landscape lighting. funky. have an appointment tomorrow and sold some additional today. for me, it is always good to have a few paying jobs to do after the install season slows down around the 10th or so. keeps the guys busy, brings in a few dollars to cover warranty repair labor costs during the 2 weeks before Christmas.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know I always seem to get a negative tone at some point comparing this year to other years, but this weekend was downright disturbing. I have noticed the phone has not rung, and I did not do a single new Christmas lights appointment this wekend. That is unheard of. I have one appointment booked for tomorrow, 11/14. I am still at 8 new customers, and I at least discovered this weekend maybe why folks are not calling.

we have been putting out yard signs and have noticed I have gotten almost no calls from them. Usually I have to sort through all the " I only want someone to hang my lights" to find the customers willing to buy from me, but no calls this year. I received a phone call Saturday from a gentleman claiming to be a previous employee of one of my competitors, and he said that his former employer was offering 10 bucks per sign for every competitors sign brought in. Christmas Decor then called me later that day and informed me they had received a similar call and had contacted the police, and asked me to follow suit, which I did. The police are now investigating. I am considering putting out a hundred or so signs leading all the way to the competitors shop door. I do have some old signs around with my previous name.

but whether he stops or not, it has maybe done some damage, not sure. I know that looking at the past 2 years, we are definetely behind both years. maybe we can make up some ground, and I do hope we will close many more in the next 20 days, but the reality is we were sitting on 14-16 new customers at this time in the last 2 years.

So dirty tricks work, but hopefully the guilty can be punished. how bad it hurts me financially, we'll see.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man that is messed up...I hope they get caught..or you catch them!..
Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been going nuts down here. Only did 1 mailout of the large postcards - 5k - and phones are crazy. I was worried 'cause I was 2 weeks late with my 1st mailer. Alot of referrals and add-ons too - always nice. We're sitting at 19 new customers right now -- I don't think we've closed that many jobs before by this date. Don't need to do the 2nd round of postcards. We didn't even do door hangers this year. Still trying to work out employee stuff and manage the growth to 2 crews. First crew leader fell thru, so I was really panicked a week and a half ago...got another on board - think that's going to work well. Interesting season for sure!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

To TIMNNJ -- what kind of company did you get to answer your phones and set appointments for you? How is that working out? Would love more info!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Intelligent office..I believe they have a few offices ..www.ioredbank.com...it is the best thing I could of done...I am going to use them for the spring also...they screen the calls...set appointments and put them in google calender..well worth it..
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All three rounds of mailers so far a total bust. As of this point, only 1 new project and that was a referral. It is going to take me a week to get done and will double in size next year, but again, that was a referral. No add ons, no new ones. For me, waste of money this year.

Havent even heard from all the rehangs, so Lord only knows.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

the past 2 days have went much better. 4-5 appointments each day, one scheduled for today, one friday, one next monday, etc. closed 2 jobs monday and 2 tuesday, so we are at 12. 2 were referrals, two were postcards. still selling add ons, another 4k, we may be about at our 1/2 way point on new sales for the year including add ons. still hoping to close 30 plus new clients this year.

awesome to see Brite of Houston kicking my tail on new customers.

sorry to see others are struggling. we have also not heard from many rehang customers, maybe about 15. they are currently scheduled for after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

addicted -- so sorry to hear that. Are you using HBL for your mailers? I know each market is different, but I'm really surprised you didn't even get a couple jobs from the postcards. Do you do door hangers as well? What other kind of advertising do you do?

David -- glad to hear the numbers have gotten better in the past couple days. Are you using a phone service as well to answer calls? I'm having a terrible time keeping up with the phone and I don't want to leave people hanging.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We closed a few, mainly due to my promise to my wife and kids to take them to Disney, getting on the plane to head back now. 2 crews have been installing since halloween, probably put a 3rd out on monday.
I have 17 new estimates lined up tomorrow thru monday and 5 renewal customers that want to review the design. All internet leads/referrals/trucks and lawn signs.
Our advertising campaign should start to land today thru friday. Magazine ad and val-pak coupon mailer. Hitting the same 100,000+ homes with each one. That should generate 150-200 calls and land us 15-20 jobbs if history continues.

We also still have about 30% of our renewal customer unsigned. All have been contacted, so at this point I assume we are going to lose about 40%. Some because we raised prices, others the "economy" crutch I am sure is being used.

Addicted, I tried a mailer last year, spent a few grand, got 30 or so calls, about 10 appts, 0 sales, total bust. After talking with several guys in our area, postcards do not work. Hope it turns around for you,
Posted via Mobile Device