Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No mailers only our website and cold calls.

Be doing sales since July. Phone is avg 3 to 5 calls per day.
Picked up a couple LARGE shopping centers this year plus all of our re hangs are back.

Picked up 2 HOA's from US Lawns/Christmas Decor .... for a higher price!

Been a great year can't wait to see what the next few years will look like.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

2 more new ones today. at 14 new jobs. one add on today. one came from internet, one from truck graphics.

I have booked a few appointments coming up on postcards that arrived today in one of our zip codes up here, I will try to track where sales are coming from.

just a note to everyone, be sure to order what ever you need tomorrow, clips, bulbs, cord, etc. shipping and freight seems to do absolutely nothing from wed. night next week through sunday night. so try to get any ordering done and on your doorstep by next wednesday. for us that means ordering tomorrow what I need to carry me through for the next 10 days.

I know I probably mention this every year, but I really want to thank God that the phone has rung and my family will be blessed financially by what has happenned in the last 3 days. I have several more appointments lined up as well, but I feel way better about the season now than I did monday morning when I had one appointment scheduled.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you Dave!!

Here, nothing. I got one call off the mailer the other day that the guy is sincere. I just got off HBL's website, all icicle light links are gone, essentially all the light drops are gone. Everything I have attempted to order just to have on hand this year, gone. I needed several cases of bows, called out one day to check on availability, plenty in stock, called out 2 days later when I got the contract, gone.

It seems that the idea now is to force us to sit on stock for 8 months, regardless if we can afford it or not. I in no way shape or form am in a financial position to do that. Pretty wholeheartedly disgusted right now to say the least. $2800 for the direct mail, bunch of tire kickers in the beginning, then nothing, finally get one opportunity, and no product available. I am starting to understand the comments others are making very clearly.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you want to pm me I can tell you how we do our direct mail. It has brought me a few jobs this year, and I really have not mailed much. Brite lites of Houston follows the program and it has worked like gangbusters for them. Back many moons ago I tried the brite Ideas mail program and was extremely upset as well at about 5000 bucks wasted. but it seems to work at least a little better the way I train my consulting clients.

I am sorry you are upset about product being out. I too have lost sales in the past with items being out. But starting 4 years ago I structured my business around it rather than hoping HBL would always have key items in. I now tell every customer that an order item may be out of stock before I sell it. The 18" bow is an example. I don't sell many, but I told a customer before they closed 2 days ago that that item may be out. and it was. I sell far more 24's and 36's, and a few 48's. I have all those in stock.

I really did not have the funds either when I made my first order. but I had a few years history of new sales, so I took a chance and it paid off. in your market it may not.

I would continue to put out signs and try to sell c-9 jobs and what ever link jobs you can sell that are in. sell what they have in stock and tell folks they are out of the rest unless you call and you know they have it. Don't let HBL being out of items shut you down for the year. work around it.

And to be fair, they are also not the only Christmas company out of items. Many other vendors I order from never got some items in.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No I realize that Dave. Just really discouraging. I honestly don;t have a lot of time to take on new clients this year, but I was trying to replenish my supply. I used a lot of clear mini incandescent the past few years, and am at the end of the warranty - assumable life span for them. If the damn squirrels would stop chewing on things, my life would be a lot easier.

The 18" bows wee completely gone by November 1st. I understand they may have experienced a huge jump in demand this season and ere under prepared for it. It is partially my fault as I have not jumped on ordering anything not knowing what the year would bring. I am glad I didn't in all honesty, I would be sitting on a bunch of product, we haven;t gotten anything in regard to new residential, even have some renewals that we haven't heard from. Got one renewal from last year I gave a screaming deal to who has still yet to send back the contract and refuses to comprehend the first come first serve. Insists on having her display up by 12/1, not gonna happen. Her last comment I signed a contract last year too, yup, for last year, and you got scheduled and installed. Then she said, you told me it would be up by the end of November, I responded, I also told you the renewal contract would be to you no later than Labor day as well. No contract, no install. Got stuck with a couple last year, not doing that again.

The whole season has been pretty frustrating to date. The way it was all starting in September, I thought we were going to be in for a great season, it stopped as quick as it started. I did pick up a nice commercial project, that will be added onto continuously in the years to come, so that has filled alot of the time I would have for new res clients anyhow.

I will PM you with regard to the direct mail, and also the company I am falling back on. I would imagine you have dealt with them in the past. I think a large part of my issue, I like commercial work, not a fan of residential really. Our market is weird to say the least. I did talk with Mike the other day, who as usual has been as great a help as I have experienced in the past, and in no way am I being sarcastic. I sort of have my eyes set on a new area next year, to late to go after it this season, I won't have enough time. I was working in the neighborhood I am talking about the other day, and my mind was totally boggled at the houses. Come to find out Bill Parcells has a home there.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The big Tuna...nice ..he has a home down here too...I actually worked his daughters wedding when I worked at a golf club when I was younger..nice fella...
Picked up a couple nice new jobs today...Our newspaper down here is going to do an article on us next week. Pretty cool..it's a big paper for our area...I bought a bunch of material in case we get a hit from that too...all because she saw our lawn signs...hopefully the next 4 weeks we can finish up strong...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes Gretzmeier's marketing program is awesome ! At 23 new jobs right now...completely booked thru the 1st week of December with 2 crews. It absolutely kills me to think I'm going to have to turn people away -- trying to convince Carlos we should scramble to put a 3rd crew together...we'll see. Call him Dave ! Today we installed LED Ribbon Light Links on a house -- they look awesome!!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

kills me I have been working with stacey and carlos for a few years and they can't spell my name right.

closed number 15 today and lots of appointments in the next few days. we are booking for sunday on Thanksgiving weekend, and we have a dozen or so rehangs that wanted hung after thanksgiving. so I should be able to keep all 4 crews busy at least until Nov. 30th or so. once again, the question becomes how do I sell fast enough to keep all crews busy through Dec. 5? I can't. so rehangs have to be scheduled in there as well.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

busted!!! You're right - I always want to throw that extra 'e' in there!!!!! I'll work harder on that! HOWEVER...you spelled my name wrong too LOL -- there's no 'e' in my first name .

Glad to hear you closed more today. I'm serious about calling Carlos though -- I hate to turn people away
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that is fantastic..congrats..hope everyone gets a piece of the action one way or another

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelights View Post
Yes Gretzmeier's marketing program is awesome ! At 23 new jobs right now...completely booked thru the 1st week of December with 2 crews. It absolutely kills me to think I'm going to have to turn people away -- trying to convince Carlos we should scramble to put a 3rd crew together...we'll see. Call him Dave ! Today we installed LED Ribbon Light Links on a house -- they look awesome!!