Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know I will be rereading Dave;s thread and heading out that way next year. Some thing here has to change. Gonna really take the leap towards that are I mentioned above next year, hopefully I can find decent product as I will be going right into the house of a CD guy.
COngragulations on the new sales everyone!@!
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What a difference a day can make, phone hasn;t stopped all day. Exhausted though, and my knee feels like it is going to explode from going p and down the ladders all day. Tomorrow gonna be a busy day.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sweet. I feel the panic from people today. Next week or so should be interesting
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes its nuts. 15 calls/emails today. Crazy. Bids all weekend. House kicked our arse today. It was so windy made things so difficult.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

addicted -- SO glad to hear that! Praise God -- I hope you close a few from that. We closed 3 more today. I'm so exhausted I'm getting ready to fall into bed. I'm going to have the Showroom open tomorrow -- praying for customers so I can move some of this interior Christmas decor we bought. Be safe and have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

closed 2 more today. so at 17 new. really worried about bad weather after tomorrow. seriously- 40% rain on sunday, 60% on monday, then 30% on tuesday. wednesday is supposed to be sunny. I am really hoping we get to work 2 out of the 3 rain predicted days. with good weather, looks like we are pretty booked 4-5 days after thanksgiving.

still have about a dozen customers that I have not heard from even though we have made multiple calls. maybe they will call after thanksgiving and help me feed the guys jobs. I seem to be able to close 1-2 per day average, They are hanging about 5 per day. but they are going to catch me at some point. we will see.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

After a week away, I am paying the piper now. Ran 16 appts the past 2 days, only sold 2, think 2 or 3 more might go with us. Have 15 appts booked between today and tomorrow.

Have the guys running tomorrow (Sunday) signed up our downtown thru the chamber of commerce and figure Sunday will be the best day to due with the least amount of traffic to move ladders and trucks around.

Since Dave is the bar on here, I will see if I can catch him, right now I have only closed about 1/2 of his total. But volume wise it looks like we have surpassed last year, havent totaled it up yet.

Still have 1/3 of renewing customers out, finally some are calling to get scheduled. Some wont be back as we had to raise some of their prices due to just missing the amount of material needed previously or adjusting for tree growth etc.

So, we may actually have a year with less customers but more volume.

Our ads just landed Thursday and Friday so look out, here we go....

Hopefully we have enough material stocked to carry us, snoflake light links are gone, but everything else is pretty good and I have blizzards to back me up on the snoflakes anyway.

2 crews booked thru Dec 2 and a 3rd running starting today thru the holiday weekend.

Good luck everyone, for us this is the week that we make or break the season....
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So all the calls I got yesterday, and all = nothing. Tire kickers, and then one come hang my stuff. So, I think it is time to just say to he(( with it for this year, I did pick up a nice commercial job that will be a nice margin, and provided the client doesn't blow a gasket on the garland from Tom Brady and Associated Artists, we will add significantly next year.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtolandscaping View Post
So all the calls I got yesterday, and all = nothing. Tire kickers, and then one come hang my stuff. So, I think it is time to just say to he(( with it for this year, I did pick up a nice commercial job that will be a nice margin, and provided the client doesn't blow a gasket on the garland from Tom Brady and Associated Artists, we will add significantly next year.
Dont give up, keep in mind thanksgiving is a week early this year. I ran all day yesterday and only sold one job, 2 tire kickers and a "hang my stuff" from service magic, the rest had to sleep on it.

Today was better, got an ok from a estimate yesterday and sold 3 more, but still had a hang my stuff, a no show with no answer on the cell and a sticker shock when I gave him the $900 estimate.....

I hate selling, it is so frustrating, kinda like batting averages in baseball.....300 is good, 400 is awesome, any more than that is impossible.

Big hurt today was I sent the guys to a previous customer (she moved and custom built a house) I had sold the job $3500, got confirmation of contract via email, good as signed..will pay you when you finish as usual (cutomer for 3 years, with multiple referrals to us, so I figure, no worries)...my guys get there, see the hubby, he waves, she's home, I spend 45 minutes on site, at 11:30, after branch wrapping 2400 lights in 2 trees, my guys call to tell me the wife just told us the husband hired someone else.....she meant to call and cancel with me and forgot....I try to save it, negotiate price, whatever I can think of without losing my shirt, I have 12 man hours in it and probably another 8 if I need to take it down...no dice, claims hubby already paid competitor....we will use you next year....I'm holding my breath......my biggest problem is I have a 4x8 sign on the truck, why in the frig did the husband not stop my guys when he saw them at 8:30????gggrrrrrrr.....I hate people, I really do....

Last edited by turf hokie; 11-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lord and I sorry to hear that Bryan. I don;t know that I am giving up so to speak, told Mike the other day, there are some big decisions that need to be made next year.

As we have talked about I really like the commercial side of things, to me, residential sucks. I got one call, ironically enough his wife wanted more more more LLlast year, then regardless of the times I told her to slow down, kept going and then wam, door in the face. LOL Now he wants to do something with c-9's. This one I will probably do, but it is what it is. With the new commercial one I got, the one I am waiting to hear on (husband I is out of the country - known them both for years so wel'll see) anf this one, it will probably put me at 20k in new work and somewhere between 8 ands 10k in rehangs. THe worst part, with everything I have going on in my life it has really drained interest in everything, like wind has been taken out of my sails so to speak. Right down to upgrading to the Platinum level, and for all intensive purposes, I paid $400 for a *rigging case of catalogs. Mike has tried to send me the software files via email, no luck with them functioning. When I try to order something it is gone, since the end of October, so just chalking this one up. I haven;t put out any signs, as I don;t know where to find time right now, and then there is the where do I get supplies issue. For a one guy show, I am doing ok, looking at 3 years ago when I thought I threw away all my money I spent; and looking at today, night and day difference. We are starting the new project today, hope to really make some time on that, but the tree (fresh cut) will not be arriving until Thursday, so of course there is another headache to deal with. Hoping my son and I can get atleast 15-20 of the poles done today, I will hit it hard again tomorrow while he is in school. Then there is the tree issue which hopefully will resolve itself, my supplier is trying to find me one locally, and she wants me to put 24 total sets of c-7 into 12 different trees. Then I move into another that takes me about 5 days to put up,then a couple rehangs.

I am going to start working on next season's plan in February. I am looking at moving up to the area north of me we have talked about, and knowing what I do about the product and guy there, I need to really have my ducks in a row. I also want to formulate a plan to really make a mark in the commercial end of things here.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger