Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

my guys started a rehang today and had worked it about 1/3 of the way when the husband came out and sent the guys away. it was the 4th year for that customer. he had been called 3 times, no returned phone call, but then that is the new way to say no these days. main reason we did him is he was across the street from another customer we were doing. I still have about 14 that are still non-contact, and we have about 27 beyond that to get up from now until whenever.

we also have not closed a job in 2 days, still at 17. did 8 bids on saturday and today, and it shows the power of numbers.

I have always read that 33% is a good close ratio, meaning you close 1 out of 3 bids. we had closed 9 jobs since monday morning on 20 bids, which is beating the odds, 45%. that always feels good. and I am pretty sure my previous 8 was out of 20 or so bids total. I have not counted that. but this week you add in the last 8 bids, and I am at 9/28 which is closer to 30%. So I know I am due some closes tomorrow. we'll see. I am fully booked monday and a few scheduled for tuesday. phone rang alot last monday, so I am hoping for a fully booked thanksgiving week of appointments.

the numbers game- I want to close 35 or more jobs this year & I need 18 more. so I need to have 18x3=54 appointments until the end of the selling season, roughly December 5th. that is 14 days away because I don't bid on thanksgiving day. so I need to average 54/14 appointments per day, or roughly 4. so for me, signs, signs, everywhere there's signs.

I am still behind last year, and 2009. I was at 24 customers in 2010 ( although I sold 4 that day) by this day and 19 in 2009.

ended up with 36 new customers in 2009 and 47 in 2010, so maybe I can still hope to close what I did in those years after this date. using 2010 numbers, I got 23 more after this date last year, and 17 more in 2009. so either one of those puts me betwen 34-40. I would be very happy with that. but there probably is a reason we are behind those 2 years, and whatever it is, it may continue. we'll see.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

and it may or may not matter, but Thanksgiving day is November 24th this year, was the 25 last, and the 26th 2 years back.

This is the scary thing though-Thanksgiving day next year is on the 22nd according to google. I have got to get more folks done in October next year. I may have to run 5 crews in november to get everybody done. we'll see.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

very good day. closed 5 today. going from 17 to 22 new clients feels way better for this year. 2 referrals, 2 postcards, one from rental special in one neighborhood only.

have gotten lucky on installs, ran 2 crews on sunday and 3 today, even though rain was predicted both days. was kinda misty today, but guys worked through it.

had a box van go down saturday with 2 flats on the back on the same side. one tire blew, then the other one on the same side. had to buy two tires at sam's club, get a mobile truck tire mounting rig to come to truck and change out two tires, then drove it to Sam's and got the other 2 on the rear replaced because they were exactly the same as the other two that blew.

so...That is 1000 bucks I had not budgeted this week.

and now the guys have "tire envy" one of my other crew foremen pointed out he needed 2 tires for the front of his boxvan. and he is right. I do need two more tires for that truck as well. It always amazes me that we have trucks that only run 3 months out of the year, maybe 8-10,000 miles per truck tops, yet I have bought 4-8 tires every year for the past few years.

and I don't know when it happened, but somehow it became normal for truck tires to be 200 bucks each instead of 100 bucks each.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear you closed 5 today - that's awesome! Sorry to hear about the truck tires .

We didn't close any today but the guys are doing awesome on installs -- ahead of schedule. We have plenty of extra help this week so I'm going to try and sell a few more jobs !
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Interesting day...the calls that came into the office.

1. Job estimated Sunday for 3250, felt I should not walk away from his business when he offered 1600

2. Husband says I met with the wife and he wanted to add to the job and get it installed over the weekend, problem is.....I have no idea who his wife met with cause it wasnt me.....and they had never called into my office for an appt

3. Caller wanted to know if he bought the lights from local box store would I install them and leave them up all year....can you say insurance claim?

4. Caller says they bought and installed their own lights over the weekend.....but it is too Griswaldy, the breakers keep tripping and they dont want them, would I be willing to buy the lights from them and un-install......ummmmmm, call an electrician and install another circuit, I am not buying 2nd hand lights from a source I wouldnt buy them from in the first place....just when I thought I had heard it all.....can you buy the lights that are on my house...OMG...

did sell 2 out of 3 estimates today, so not just a comedy show......slowly catching Dave, maybe just maybe.......
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ha..ya it's wild out there for sure..for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Interesting day...the calls that came into the office.

1. Job estimated Sunday for 3250, felt I should not walk away from his business when he offered 1600

2. Husband says I met with the wife and he wanted to add to the job and get it installed over the weekend, problem is.....I have no idea who his wife met with cause it wasnt me.....and they had never called into my office for an appt

3. Caller wanted to know if he bought the lights from local box store would I install them and leave them up all year....can you say insurance claim?

4. Caller says they bought and installed their own lights over the weekend.....but it is too Griswaldy, the breakers keep tripping and they dont want them, would I be willing to buy the lights from them and un-install......ummmmmm, call an electrician and install another circuit, I am not buying 2nd hand lights from a source I wouldnt buy them from in the first place....just when I thought I had heard it all.....can you buy the lights that are on my house...OMG...

did sell 2 out of 3 estimates today, so not just a comedy show......slowly catching Dave, maybe just maybe.......
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

New to This...Wholesale supplier info and tips & tricks advice

Hi Everyone, I just read through the whole thread and really appreciate the insight. We are in the midst of our first year here. I was wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks on selling and installing. So far i learned that people say they want LED C9's on a 25 ft spruce, but are shocked it cant be done for close to 200 bucks! What's the best approach for those prospects that want the service but don't have a clue on pricing?
I also was wondering if you guys could throw out some names of some good wholesale suppliers, and products you love or hate? (Currently, we order from Sival)
Any good installation time savers???
I'll share as I learn.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

duckbutt- welcome aboard. all the answers to your questions can be found on numerous other threads on here. If you are new to the biz, I encourage you to spend thanksgiving weekend reading every thread over the past 3 years. I promise you, that info is worth tens of thousands of dollars. as far as price shock, I only close 1 out of 3 bids or so, maybe a bit more, so 2 out of 3 folks just won't spend the money on this. expect it. prepare for it, and there is no good answer that works for all folks.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

good day yesterday, sold 2. up to 24. The rental neighborhood I did last year is slowly adding houses, but I still have not heard from 3 we did last year. but we added 3 more so far. postcards and signs work. I did not mention yesterday, but the 2 I got from postcards were over 6.5k combined. to print and mail 10,000 postcards for me was about 2600. I believe I have closed a couple of others from postcards, so even though the return is not awesome yet, I at least paid for them and then some. the last 2000 and 1000 of those hit today and friday, and next monday.

I think for the 22nd of November we are close to where we were last year. what a crazy 8 days. monday morning last week, sitting on 8 jobs.

very good day to put out signs, as the city crews won't likely pick up til next monday morning. this is the big weekend to put them out at the good neighborhoods. good luck guys !
Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Closed 3 nice ones yesterday. Rented a boom this am and it doeant have to be back untill Saturday. 2 for 1 Our right up in the paper may hit on Thanksgiving. Doing an order to get by mext week.
Posted via Mobile Device