The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2011, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

and number 10 in the world out of over 4 million results

http://www.google.com/search?q=holid...w=1024&bih=552
Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is my local competition, and by local, I mean 6 blocks away. When I ran the radio spot last year, the sales person told me I really needed to do something as my "competition" already had.

My response, the clients they service I don't want to. You guys tell me, am I missing something?

www.thechristmasguy.com

They are #1 on google though.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the girls pre qualify the people with 800 Min with a 1500 average starting price.The intelligent office was the best money I have spent on anything in a while..it weeds out a lot but still have the tire kickers...I closed two new ones today..I am planning on 3-5 new installs front today to finish out the season. That mixed in with the cleanups we have should take us to Christmas.(oh and that bathroom my wife wants re-done before Christmas mixed in there somewhere)..if I have the material and can grab a couple more jobs..bring it on...
Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

crazy 2 days- booked 29,30 on november 30 and 31,32 on December 1. nice to finally break 30. but only one appointment tomorrow. There has been a very large amount of folks the last week I would have sworn would close but have not called back.

I am still pacing 2010, ahead of 2009. still hoping for 40 plus new customers. sales per customer do seem to be trending down, have not closed a larger one in awhile.

but overall sales are good. had a couple of add on sales as well that were nice the past 2 days.

what is the intelligent office?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

That's awesome Dave! I don't know what Intelligent Office is, but that reminds about another local distributor here that uses Ring Central. It's not a person answering or pre-qualifying - but I was still impressed with how it works. When I call her number...it gives you her company message...then -- press '1' for sales and installation, press '2' for showroom, etc....then it plays Christmas music while you're on hold and it's transferring you. Very impressive! She said it's an online service with a lot of features. I'm going to check it out after the season.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

#33 today. 2 appointments. phone is pretty quiet. still putting out signs. the I don't know list has had 2 more casualties and one that says she wants it. only three names left on the list.

giving most of the guys off saturday and sunday, but still going to run a one man fix it crew and a two man install crew tomorrow. probably just a one man fix it crew sunday. may rain tomorrow as well. everyone is very tired. I need a day off to recharge my batteries and then I think I can do the last 8 days.

now is always a good time to start taking pictures for next years postcards. and filming videos for install crews.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My box truck decided to melt wires in the cab..soo the truck went in on Friday. Should have it back by tomorrow...I have 3-4 new hangs at the end of this week..had a wedding over this past weekend so it worked out. with the cleanups and lights we will be finishing off the year strong..and I found a dump insert for my truck to boot....intelligent office is a local company..but I think you can use them all over?..I can ask..they track where the leads come from, answer the phone, screen the calls...sets up appointments under google calender...forwards calls to me if need be..on the cell..There is noooo way I could of managed this season without it..I can't wait to use it for the spring...Call us we always answer" as we all know we get a bad rap for not answering calls..and I am sure we can close a lot more..If I wasn't out there running around and just concentrated on sales I know I could of done another 10-20k at least..next year will be different!..lets try to enjoy the holiday season.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

This business has blown me away. I did two houses in my neighborhood last year just to try it out, but this was really my first season. I had no idea what to expect. I invested a good bit of money in preperation and was very afraid it might flop. Instead, I found I was totally unprepared for how much business is out there. I took vacation from my regular job the past two weeks and I have been working on Christmas lights non-stop, 16 to 18 hours per day the entire time. Exhausted doesn't even come close to describing me now. It rained all day yesterday and I went back to work today and finally had time to rest.

As of today, I have 26 new sales. But, one was my mother's house at cost and one was a friend in a upscale neighborhood at cost, so those don't really count.

I know I left some business out there because I just couldn't go on sales calls and install at the same time. I also didn't have time to put out many lawn signs or door hangers. But, when I did put out signs, the calls from that neighborhood came in like crazy. If I was prepared and had the crews in place to install and the time to put out signs and make sales calls, I don't know how many I could have gotten.

Hopefully, next year I will be better prepared. I definitely made a ton of mistakes, mostly in installing and estimating, and I learned a lot and found out how much I didn't know. Several houses kicked my butt and I didn't make much profit on a couple. But, it was a blast and I can't wait till next year.

The phone didn't ring at all yesterday or today and I only got one e-mail inquiry today. Since I don't know what to expect, I don't know if it is the weather or if we are done.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting to book into next week. Sold 1 today for next week. Over the weekend sold another one that we'll try to squeeze in somewhere this week. Couple quotes for tomorrow that would also be for install next week. We have turned away a ton of people that we just couldn't fit in before next week -- goal for next year is to have enough crews to prevent that. All in all, we'll be over 30 new customers for the season.

Rained today...the guys definitely needed the day to recharge. Although Carlos ran some service calls after the rain cleared out. Gonna be cold for the rest of the week...I know I won't find sympathy here...but low's in the 50s --- BRRRRR for us. Up until now we've had alot of days still in the 80s.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cant imagine what that must be like, hanging lights in the 80's you guys must surely get alot accomplished. We have been steadily in the 50;s for highs this year, SPOILED, LOL but have enjoyed it.

As of today, we have gotten 0 new residential clients. Truthfully though, it is ok this year. We did gain a nice municipal contract that was worth about 18k, and will be a 7k rehang next year.

The season next year preliminary work is going to begin once take downs are complete. In a way I am a bit disgusted with the way this year turned out, yet completely grateful to the Lord above for it at the same time. I truly do not think I could possibly handle much more t this point by myself.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor