Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

snowed here last night and is 34 degrees right now. roads are clear, and running two crews starting late for small jobs, bulb replacements and fixes, and we have one more full day of 3 crews doing install left. wish I would have worked the guys an hour later last night and gotten more fixes done, but hindsight is 20/20.

closed 34,35,36 yesterday. so we met what we did in 2009 new customer wise, and I am pretty happy with that, but of course would like to break 40 again. closed #37 this afternoon. no appointments on the radar, but phone did ring today. looking back, last year we closed 5 new customers after december 6, in 2009 we only closed 1. so maybe in between would be 3 and we could break 40. we will see.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Closed two more shopping centers and a couple resi jobs .... the resi's were below our "minimum" but I figured what the heck.... $650 for two 8 ft trees and 7 box woods.

Over all it was a good season. I have already decided to "specialize" in large installs next year. We did triple the sales this year as we did in 2010 so I'm a happy guy!

Hope all had a great season !!!!

Now it's time for $NOW!!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

quiet day today, no appointments, phone only rang twice. did leave a message with someone that was a referral, but no call back. working all guys tomorrow on fixes, finishing up one rehang and getting some lumber from sawmill for a privacy fence project for shop. putting up a couple of free jobs for folks in need. had 2 calls from the last 3 of the unknowns and they both want hung. one will be monday. but that also puts us at a 90% retention rate. even if the last one I do not know about does not want rehung, still within the statistical 90% either way.

but I just can't see us continuing that trend unless we start to act like a bigger company- we need a full time secretary person from Sept 1 to Feb 1 doing phone follow up, files, postcard mailings and invoice/collection stuff. I just can't do it all anymore.

going to look at another boxvan saturday, to fill in for and or replace the one with the blown engine for takedown assistance. I may still put in a rebuilt engine in the other one, but man, 3-4k for a rebuilt engine replacement when you can buy a running boxvan for 4-5k and scrap the non running one for 1200? really tough to repair.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

closed #38 today. a very small job, probably just a couple hours for 2 guys, but we are reaching the end and I'll take what I can get. weather was cold at first today ( mid teens) but warmed up nicely to 45 or so. I'll take 45 and sunny in december all day any day. Although in Houston for brite lites that is brr cold.

going to have one crew come in just for fixes on saturday and sunday, but probably just a few hours each.

got a call from one I had written off that owed me money from last year that wants installed, we'll add it to another one we are doing monday. running two crews on december 12th seems a bit late. still putting out signs, hoping for a phone call or two this weekend.

got materials to build a new fence for the front of our property, we will building a pretty sturdy privacy fence. went to the same sawmill that cut the siding for our barn. weighed about 13,000 pounds of wood. I may take pictures, and post as we go, we'll see.

Last edited by David Gretzmier; 12-08-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

#39 and 40 yesterday. 1 small, one medium. but of course, I will take it. had a small add on and one client re-upped that did not do it last year. still can't believe everyone will work monday. The 12th? today running one crew for fixes and add-on today, probably tomorrow everyone will be off except my daughter and myself, tightwrapping a new job.

so I finally made my goal of 40, maybe one more might come along, but yesterday felt like the end. phone did not ring except for the add on and client re-upping. I did sell one on the 15th last year, so you never know. but the 10th is when I usually say it is done.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Sold a small one this morning. I also can't believe we're still installing. We have 2 lined up for Monday plus one garland install...and prolly a couple small ones after that for parties.

Here's a pic of the boat we decorated for the 50th Anniversary of the Kemah Boat Parade. By the way...they told us Thursday afternoon they wanted something recognizing the '50th' on the boat. And we were decorating the boat Friday. That was crazy -- but we got it done.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelights View Post
Sold a small one this morning. I also can't believe we're still installing. We have 2 lined up for Monday plus one garland install...and prolly a couple small ones after that for parties.

Here's a pic of the boat we decorated for the 50th Anniversary of the Kemah Boat Parade. By the way...they told us Thursday afternoon they wanted something recognizing the '50th' on the boat. And we were decorating the boat Friday. That was crazy -- but we got it done.

I seen this on HBL's face... That IS SWEET!!! I think you did that boat last year different, but still looks AWESOME!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

very pretty. are those icicles a light link?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

greenbay...thank you! This is the same boat we decorated last year - and you're right we did it different last year. We will do a different theme every year. My brain is already workin on next year's theme .

amish --- yes those are light links. We used over 50 HBL LED Glacier Light Links.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

nice boat ! great job guys.

feel like I am gonna be lazy at some point this week, but I don't know how-phone rang and booked an appointment for tomorrow, talked to another lady today, so folks are still calling sporadically. looked at a box van yesterday but did not buy. gotta buy one to replace the one that went boom. may still fix the other one, but will cost 3k plus. rather buy one running for 4.5-5k. can scrap the other one for 12-1300.

have a couple of late rehang calls we will be doing monday, an add-on, and starting on the front fence project. we also have 2 landscape light projects I am hoping to finish this week, along with an extensive landscape light repair. will work everyone tomorrow, but I think that will be the last day we do that. I hate to "lay the guys off" but I think one crew doing fixes a half a day, landscape lights a half a day, and the fence project will keep me busy. Plus, I gota take pictures at night for future postcards and start filming jobs, and collect money !

I had this dream of calling folks and doing satisfaction surveys, and maybe finding a few dozen folks for early takedown the week after Christmas. just don't see it happening.

i need to pencil in lazy time.