Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

kawasaki FJ180v oil filter mount gasket leak

alright well it seems I have a small leak and I think it is the gasket that is in between the the oil filter mount and the engine block. I can stick my hand right where the gasket is and get an oily finger. So my question is how hard is it to remove that oil filter mount? It looks like it has two bolts holding it on to the engine but looking at a diagram it looks like oil pump is right in there. It seems like the mount is just loose because I can move it slightly with my hand. I put a ratchet on the bolts to tighten them up and they didn't want to budge. I didn't put much effort into it though. Did they put lock tight on the bolts? What is the torque specs on these two bolts?

This is a 2005 exmark 21 with the 6hp kawasaki FJ180v engine.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a link to an FJ180V oil filter base. You failed to give a spec number but I would think this is typical. Pull the base and inspect the gasket. If it's been loose for sometime your gasket may be damaged. It could be installed with loctite but I would certainly replace with some blue(medium strength) loctite.

http://www.upstateoutdoorpowerequipm...99907-63150040
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah that's it. Now I just have to figure out what the torque spec for the bolts are. If im able to wiggle the filter base slightly then I don't see why it's so difficult to turn the bolts.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Those cap screws are either 6mm or 8mm and I'm thinking the smaller rather that the larger.

I have no idea what Kaw's manual says regarding proper torque but following is a link for general torques for metric capscrews.

http://www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorque.aspx