Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro z400 series reverse prob??

A while ago I have noticed the right hydro seems to be hesitating in reverse, ( And is getting worse) when I go to stop or turn around I have to help the right side by using the left side, and start to role the mower before the right wants to catch and rotate the tire.. I checked the bypass valve to make sure its tight, The belt seems to be Ok but this is my first hydro mower, as I had crappy belt drives before this one....I don't want to take it in to the mechanic and loose the mower ( As its my main mower) For a few days, so I am just limping around trying to finish the season...Anyone have any suggestions< THANKS>
Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

With no model number, I can't look up the control arm arrangement on the hydro pump. Frequently, the set screws that retain the contol arm to the pump shaft loosen which permits the control arm to slip on the pump shaft. You may want to check it out.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I really appreciate the help...It's model# 74449 serial 280000208... I looked around the control arm area and found a screw ( I think that's the one you said to check) and tightened it as tight as i could get it even though it didn't seem to be very loose. I wont know if it worked until tomorrow morn..Thanks again, this has been a real pain to deal with. Any other suggestions if this doesn't work?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the band brake on that side first.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I really don't think it's the brake, I can fell the difference in the pressure in the steering stick sometimes, it does'nt feel the same as the other side. But this doesn't happen every time I try to reverse just most of the time. Once and a while it seems to work fine.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavwa View Post
I really don't think it's the brake, I can fell the difference in the pressure in the steering stick sometimes, it does'nt feel the same as the other side. But this doesn't happen every time I try to reverse just most of the time. Once and a while it seems to work fine.
OK, dont check the brake, buy a new pump and wheel motor instead.

As far as the "pressure" you are feeling, this is NOT the pressure of the hydros but in fact the resistance of the shock dampeners which are to help you make controlled movements of the controls. If one feels different from the other, or is "jumpy", the dampener is bad. This has nothing to do with your reverse issue.

Last edited by StihlMechanic; 11-11-2011 at 12:26 AM.