Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,763
Where do people find the time??!!

9 ESTIMATES for a patio REPAIR??!!!??!!

9???

Are you freakin kidding me!


Mr. Hardscape,

Thanks for your estimate. My wife and I will talk it over. We have received 9 estimates on this project. Our decision will come down to you and xxxxx, LLC. We felt like the both of you had the fairest price, quality and reputation. I appreciate your time and we should have a decision by early next week. We will let you know one way or the other.

Thanks,

X----



People. I love people.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Gilmore.Landscaping's Avatar
Gilmore.Landscaping Gilmore.Landscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 639
Hahaha, most I have ever has was 6..... i guess the norm would be maybe 3 or 4.

Best was when I showed up and there was a competitor outside I asked him what he was doing since he wasn't measuring anything up, just standing beside his truck...."I am waiting for the 3rd contractor to leave, I am number 4" I just got back in my truck and left. hahaha
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 PM
vtscaper vtscaper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Burlington VT
Posts: 159
thats a joke
__________________
Chris di Stefano
www.distefanolandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
That's excellent! I would have taken off as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Krafty Krafty is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
Hahaha, most I have ever has was 6..... i guess the norm would be maybe 3 or 4.

Best was when I showed up and there was a competitor outside I asked him what he was doing since he wasn't measuring anything up, just standing beside his truck...."I am waiting for the 3rd contractor to leave, I am number 4" I just got back in my truck and left. hahaha
There is nothing that pisses me off more then this, and the "oh hold on a second my wife is inside but she will be out in a few" 25 minutes later she is still not out.
__________________
www.stldumpsters.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 PM
JoeyDipetro JoeyDipetro is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 117
Truly successful people don't just have money, they have time. I'm curious how they are going to decide between the two finalists. They reviewed all of the estimates, narrowed it down to two, but did not ask for more info. I find that strange and I'd be following up with a response. Kind of sounds like a polite "no thank you" to me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2011, 11:27 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDipetro View Post
Truly successful people don't just have money, they have time. I'm curious how they are going to decide between the two finalists. They reviewed all of the estimates, narrowed it down to two, but did not ask for more info. I find that strange and I'd be following up with a response. Kind of sounds like a polite "no thank you" to me.

I probably would normally follow up. but this is just a small repair job ($2700).

We're busy, sales are steady (yes, I'm tootin my own horn!!), so if the dude calls back - nice. If not - no biggie.


.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 PM
JoeyDipetro JoeyDipetro is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I probably would normally follow up. but this is just a small repair job ($2700).

We're busy, sales are steady (yes, I'm tootin my own horn!!), so if the dude calls back - nice. If not - no biggie.


.
Makes sense. I'd still call just to find out what drove the decision.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 PM
zedosix's Avatar
zedosix zedosix is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,405
We started a decent sized patio-staircase project this week, and today I had the opportunity to ask how many quotes she had, she told me 5. If I had known this before I may not of spent the time on her that I did to get the job.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
We started a decent sized patio-staircase project this week, and today I had the opportunity to ask how many quotes she had, she told me 5. If I had known this before I may not of spent the time on her that I did to get the job.
I have landed some jobs where the client obtained mucho quotes. I do not believe in chasing after jobs, especially when I know they're getting a gazillion quotes. Yet, on the other hand I try to maintain a positive attitude. You can't win if you don't try.

For this guy to get 9 quotes, that's unreal. Figure each person was there for 30 minutes. Thats 4.5 hrs he's spent with contractors for a $2700 repair job! Good grief!
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.11995 seconds with 8 queries