Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ZK with a bent deck

I have a ZK with a 61 inch deck. I hit a small stump and bent a blade.....and the deck. I put a couple of washers on one side of the spindle to level it back out. I was under the impression that the nice, deeper deck on the ZK was probably stronger to compensate for the extra weight, power and size. I've been using standers since 1997. I've never bent a deck before. The X has a new design. does it fold up as easily as my ZK?...I'm not happy.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

You must hit one hell of a "small" stump to bend the deck.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCL Services View Post
You must hit one hell of a "small" stump to bend the deck.
Not really, with the added weight of the motor on the deck, the right speed, and hitting a solid object I can see how these decks would fold up.

Sorry man, any updates?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Sponsor

LawnGuy73,

We don't see these decks getting bent, there will always be a couple but not a number that would make us redesign the structure of the ZK deck. Speed and weight definitely can increase the chance of it happening and that is the fastest and heaviest Stander we make but the numbers don't show a problem. The ZK shell is 7 gauge and the reinforcement plate is 7 gauge which is almost 3/8" thick where the spindle mounts. The Stander X is still relatively new but we have not seen any decks get replaced on one of those.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I posted on 11/10/2011. I thought that Wright would have contacted me and offer to replace my deck. I definitely wasn't trying to clear any rough terrain when I bent mine. I'm over 50 years old and been in the lawn maintenance businessover 30 years, so trying to jump ditches, or cross creeks wasn't on my agenda. I hit a small (2 inch diameter) stump that stuck out of the ground a couple of inches. In a manicured lawn, mowing at 4 1/5 inches high. Somehow... the contour of the lawn, while turning around, caught the blade and bent the deck. The ZK looks very heavy duty, and weighs a ton, so I'm surprised that it folded like that. Maybe china started blending some dog food in their steel.

Last edited by DuallyVette; 04-20-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
I posted on 11/10/2011. I thought that Wright would have contacted me and offer to replace my deck. I definitely wasn't trying to clear any rough terrain when I bent mine. I'm over 50 years old and been in the lawn maintenance businessover 30 years, so trying to jump ditches, or cross creeks wasn't on my agenda. I hit a small (2 inch diameter) stump that stuck out of the ground a couple of inches. In a manicured lawn, mowing at 4 1/5 inches high. Somehow... the contour of the lawn, while turning around, caught the blade and bent the deck. The ZK looks very heavy duty, and weighs a ton, so I'm surprised that it folded like that. Maybe china started blending some dog food in their steel.
How can you be mad at them when you are the one who hit something? It's not there fault that YOU hit something. Why would they give you a knew one when it's not there fault.
Exmark Mowers
Wright Mowers
Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In over 30 years many things have been hit with just a slightly bent blade at the worst. This thing looks and feels like a tank, and folded like a little piece of #hit.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightCommercial View Post
LawnGuy73,

We don't see these decks getting bent, there will always be a couple but not a number that would make us redesign the structure of the ZK deck. Speed and weight definitely can increase the chance of it happening and that is the fastest and heaviest Stander we make but the numbers don't show a problem. The ZK shell is 7 gauge and the reinforcement plate is 7 gauge which is almost 3/8" thick where the spindle mounts. The Stander X is still relatively new but we have not seen any decks get replaced on one of those.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
I didn't say that you needed to redesign anything. I simplly stated that it is possible to bend these decks, or any other decks for that matter.....

Like I said above. The right combination of speed, weight, and hitting a solid object (ie: a stump) I can see how it would happen!