Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Propane

Hi, I am looking to buy another zero turn and have seen that just about every brand has a propane offer for one of their mowers.

What are some of the pros and cons of propane and how do they stack up against diesel and gas engines

Also are they cheap to run?

Thanks for ahead of time for your input
Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only have about 20 hours on mine so far. I have a Ferris IS3100zp I like it cuts great and tons of power it can lift front tires off ground if you arent careful thats power. The two tanks give me about 6 hours max so far but it is a new machine and i heard that will improve after it hits 50 hours. If you get one buy extra tank to get you through the day thats my oppinion. I do cut super thick grass bi weekly in Central America that could be why im using up the propane so fast. The grass here grows about twice as fast as florida in the summer to give you an idea. I have a hustler also thats gas, but will convert it to propane too. Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I now have over 35hours on my ferris IS3100zp we worked this saturday all day did about 7 hours on each machine. the gas hustler went through 13.3 gallons of gas which is;$159.60 down here the Ferris used 1 1/2 tanks of propane which is; $45.00. I am sold propane all the way. The fuel economy has improved drastically now whith higher hours. Oh yeah forgot to mention the hustler which is 27hp did cut through the higher thicker stuff faster than the 32hp propane mower, but the stuff we cut down here you would never face in the U.S. so you will be fine. The ferris is faster than the gas in lower more normal cutting conditions.

Last edited by cimkill; 09-13-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up

I have two hours on my 3100ZP and consumed 2.5 gallons per hour. I'm glad to hear your efficiency has improved. I'm hoping to get to 1.6 GPH.
Have you noticed any increase in HP as the motor has broken in?
I removed the small metal baffle under the deck by the discharge chute and noticed less bogging of the engine in thick bahia. I'm going to remove the stripe kit next as it does no good that I can see. I'm happy with the machine so far.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantistom View Post
I have two hours on my 3100ZP and consumed 2.5 gallons per hour. I'm glad to hear your efficiency has improved. I'm hoping to get to 1.6 GPH.
Have you noticed any increase in HP as the motor has broken in?
I removed the small metal baffle under the deck by the discharge chute and noticed less bogging of the engine in thick bahia. I'm going to remove the stripe kit next as it does no good that I can see. I'm happy with the machine so far.
Got yours from Lou also? I am getting about 1.4 GPH now. I am using a 40% propane 60% butane mix. Thats all they have down here. I have not removed the baffles or striper yet. I will take your advice thanks. yeah fuel economy improved drastically in last 20 hours now its got 45 hours on it and does alot of work. I have not noticed any increase in power so far. I was going to call commercial lawn and ask about power. My blade belt might not be tight enough. Will remove baffles and see. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I got mine from Lou. I'ts comforting to know the fuel economy will get better. Where I get my tanks filled, they measure 30# and up by the gallon instead of weight. They stop filling the tank when it reaches just under 5 gallons. A 20# cylinder holds 4.5 gallons, so I don't know if they're underfilling.
I thought they would hold at least 6 gallons ea. I pull from both tanks simultaneously and find this causes them to sweat less than pulling fom just one. There's only one baffle to remove under the deck. It's the 4" piece at the rear of the discharge. When I removed it, the grass went from discharging mostly at the rear to a more even spread through the entire opening. Not sure why the engineers added this baffle, unless it helps with bagging. Removing the Stripe Kit has stopped the pulling up of stringy weeds and the cut now looks prettier.
You will definitely want to replace your current mixing valve with the one Lou is sending you. He did mine in the shop before I took delivery. When you replace it, let me know if your fuel economy drops.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cool I thought you probably got yours from Lou. I wanted to let you know that when my tanks are completely empty and all pressure is released through the bleeder, each tank will take 7.2 gallons; so 14.4 total. That runs me; $57.60 BZ which is $28.80 U.S. They do have the scales here but they dont use it when filling my tanks just charge me per gallon. Ok the mixing valve is the part thats supposed to boost the H.P. Right? My mower doesnt seem to have the power it should when cutting in thick grass kind of stops cutting. I will take off the discharge baffle, but am getting a bagger for the unit, so maybe will ask them if thats what its for thanks. Does it cut significantly cleaner with the striper off? Sorry for all the questions just am on my own down here. Thanks for any and all input. Oh sorry one more I only pull from one tank thats what the manual said. Should I pull from both? Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info on the tanks.
I initially pulled only from one tank, but found that it sweated quite a bit, which attracts dirt like a magnet! When I opened the second valve, both tanks sweat, but not as bad. Maybe the manual suggests running off one tank so when you run out of fuel, you can simply open the other valve and not be stranded. When you ask Ferris about the baffle, maybe mention that. I can't forsee any harm in pulling from both tanks.
I know I was bogging in the thick grass prior to removing the baffle.
As for the mixing valve/box, I have no before/after scenario since it was replaced before I purchased the machine. Lou claims it produces more HP.
I think the striper is harmless if you don't have rocks or stringy weeds/grasses. I found it will pull on anything not growing vertical.
Hope this helps. I'm very curious to see what your GPH is once you swap the mixing valve/box.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank's for your info on the baffles and the tanks. I have tons of rocks and stringy weeds and grasses so it will probably help. I hope the mixer works to increase hp cause right now my 6 year old hustler with a 27hp engine is wooping the ferris in thick grass. The reason I will still probably get another one is the propane is so much cheaper than gas down here. Yeah my tanks get real dirty from sweating tommorow i will have time to call ferris and ask about tanks, baffle, and mixer then will let you know what they tell me. Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

O.K I talked to Ferris they said that they should have something that prevents you from pulling from both tanks that it should sputter, and shut down. Dunnoh? Obviously your not having that problem, but they said you shouldnt. The baffles on the discharge he said are good in some grasses and not so good in others, so like you will take them off along with striping kit. They are not for bagger attatchement. The mixer the guy said should not increase hp but might increase RPM. He said that propane engines dont give you as much power as gas, so that might be my problem, but will wait till I have done everything I can to get more power.

Tags
cost efficiency , diesel , gas , propane mower