Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2011, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Are these Grubs?

I was replacing a patch of sod and found these critters (probably 3-5 per SF) beneath the sod I cut out. Are they White Grubs?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, that is a grub.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dylox 6.2...
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to sound like a Tree Hugger.

But isn't a little too late in the season to treat for Grubs in Orlando??? With this last Cold front, I am thinking the ground temperature is telling the grubs to start to Over Winter and stop feeding. Sure you are still going to find them in wet areas of the yard. But I am thinking they have stopped eating by now.

All opinions welcome.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That is a grub....did your L & O company make it out there for the new sod treatment yet? If not let me know. You are most likely seeing them as a result of the moisture that you are applying to keep the new sod moist which is also bringing them to the surface. The ones that are present should start to die assuming they have treated the turf with the insecticide (arena ) that they are suppose to be as part of your new sod care program. As the Arena starts making its way into the soil through the moisture you are applying to keep the new sod moist, it will come in contact with these guys and they shall no longer exist.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I am going to sound like a Tree Hugger.

But isn't a little too late in the season to treat for Grubs in Orlando??? With this last Cold front, I am thinking the ground temperature is telling the grubs to start to Over Winter and stop feeding. Sure you are still going to find them in wet areas of the yard. But I am thinking they have stopped eating by now.

All opinions welcome.

Ric,

Educate us lawnturds - would his count of 3-5 grubs per square foot be a acceptable number? I have always heard anything under 10 per square foot would be considered a suppressed amount and you would likely not see damage in that population range or less? Is this accurate? I believe you are in the grub capital of FL with your canal front properties correct?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
The ones that are present should start to die assuming they have treated the turf with the insecticide (arena ) that they are suppose to be as part of your new sod care program. As the Arena starts making its way into the soil through the moisture you are applying to keep the new sod moist, it will come in contact with these guys and they shall no longer exist.
Why is Arena superior for grubs as opposed to Dylox 6.2, is it based on price or performance? Not trying to be contentious, just curious.

Dylox 6.2 followed by Imidacloprid for longer term control does well in zone 10.

Just saying
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Why is Arena superior for grubs as opposed to Dylox 6.2, is it based on price or performance? Not trying to be contentious, just curious.

Dylox 6.2 followed by Imidacloprid for longer term control does well in zone 10.

Just saying
Did not say it was. Just know that is what the OP's pest control service uses for cinch bug and pest control. I also know that is what is generally applied to new sod installations along with a bifen spray for knockdown of anything active...at least that is during the heat of the season and webworm season especially with the bifen.

Not sure that any are superior. Personally I would see were the Imidacloprid would be much more cost effective that arena. It is just what that company uses.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

No show from Heron yet, I called Ryan this morning, he was in the office, and said he did not see anything on the computer for service. He yelled at someone in the background asking if they processed a request for my yard (I assume the guy you work with) and he said let me check into it and I'll call you back in 2 minutes. Never got a call back. Dont think the soil temperature has cooled enough to send them deeper, per my SMS it is 71.7 degrees.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilde123 View Post
No show from Heron yet, I called Ryan this morning, he was in the office, and said he did not see anything on the computer for service. He yelled at someone in the background asking if they processed a request for my yard (I assume the guy you work with) and he said let me check into it and I'll call you back in 2 minutes. Never got a call back. Dont think the soil temperature has cooled enough to send them deeper, per my SMS it is 71.7 degrees.
There should of been something in the system as I called corporate for you on Friday myself. I just text Mark - the sales rep for my area and tore into him. You have my personal phone number...if they do not have a appointment set up for you by Wed. morning please let me know as I will be on the owner of Heron's property during the early morning. But I have a feeling someone will be in contact with you after the emails I am about to fire off.

Thanks,

Michael