Register free!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Personally I would see were the Imidacloprid would be much more cost effective that arena.
Grubs are still a problem here right now with temperatures in the low to mid 80's and intermittent showers.

FYI, my pest control guy says Imidacloprid is definitly more beneficial before the eggs go to larva, Arena, Dylox or Bifenthrin after. He likes the Dylox because of cost, contact kill and residual, I suppose mostly cost.

Different strokes for different folks eh?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Ric,

Educate us lawnturds - would his count of 3-5 grubs per square foot be a acceptable number? I have always heard anything under 10 per square foot would be considered a suppressed amount and you would likely not see damage in that population range or less? Is this accurate? I believe you are in the grub capital of FL with your canal front properties correct?
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh037

The Weather has not been the normal Traditional Pattern this year. I Posted during a small Cold Front that wasn't long enough to cool off the ground temperature. Yes with 85 degree days Grubs are still going to be active to some extend. I tried finding the Chart of the normal Grub Life cycle. Grubs come to the surface to feed starting about July and normally go deep to over winter by Late Oct to early Nov.

The Sugar Cane Grubs in my area have become resistant to Imidacloprid. Bayer stopped listing them on the Merit Label 5 or 6 Years ago. Because of alkaline soil in my area Dylox is not real effective either. That leaves Liquid Sevin and Arena. Cost wise arena is out of the Ball park at first glance. But take in account it lasts season long and the cost of labor and it starts to balance out. Add in it is the only really effective product for my area and I am forced to use it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i had very bad grub problems over the last few years. i used arena this year and had zero chinch bug problem or grub problems.. i think the problem i was having was not from the may/june bettle but from the sugar cane grub and that would explain why merit didnt work for me the last few yrs. i will use arena next year also b/c it worked so well this year...

like ric said it cost more but when you take into all of the other stuff into account its hard to beat...the cost of labor to lay new sod which i had to do the last 2 years..i only treat my own acre of turf....
Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh037

The Weather has not been the normal Traditional Pattern this year. I Posted during a small Cold Front that wasn't long enough to cool off the ground temperature. Yes with 85 degree days Grubs are still going to be active to some extend. I tried finding the Chart of the normal Grub Life cycle. Grubs come to the surface to feed starting about July and normally go deep to over winter by Late Oct to early Nov.

The Sugar Cane Grubs in my area have become resistant to Imidacloprid. Bayer stopped listing them on the Merit Label 5 or 6 Years ago. Because of alkaline soil in my area Dylox is not real effective either. That leaves Liquid Sevin and Arena. Cost wise arena is out of the Ball park at first glance. But take in account it lasts season long and the cost of labor and it starts to balance out. Add in it is the only really effective product for my area and I am forced to use it.
How are products like Arena marked or tagged so you can tell if you can buy it if you are not licensed?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
How are products like Arena marked or tagged so you can tell if you can buy it if you are not licensed?
It's probably illegal to use these products on other than your own property unless you are licensed, check Texas (and your local) licensing requirements. Best to buy stuff at HD for your own yard or call a pest control operator.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
, check Texas (and your local) licensing requirements. Best to buy stuff at HD for your own yard or call a pest control operator.
So you imply that there is a list generated by the state to tell you what you need liscense for? And the HD chemicals are not getting the grubs any longer.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So you imply that there is a list generated by the state to tell you what you need liscense for? And the HD chemicals are not getting the grubs any longer.
Ed

You have been a member since Nov of 2002 with over 8200 posts and you still don't understand or know pesticide law???? Geezes What place where the sun doesn't shine has your head been??

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Best to buy stuff at HD for your own yard or call a pest control operator.
They sell Arena now at Home Depot!!! If you seriously are doing your own property and it is small under 5k - it is almost better for you to purchase your Arena there as opposed to Lesco at least as it is cheaper or roughly the same cost and you are not forced to buy the larger commercial bag that is at Lesco.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Ed

You have been a member since Nov of 2002 with over 8200 posts and you still don't understand or know pesticide law???? Geezes What place where the sun doesn't shine has your head been??

Ok Ric you need to talk more slowly I don't understand. How does a John Deere saleman know which chemicals require licenses? I am not in the spraying business but my yard is being eaten up by grubs. So I pop in over here to get some clue about what to use and walla here is the thread.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

The state sets the requirements for chemical applications to turf grasses and ornamentals. For example; in Florida I have a limited application license that allows me to apply certain chemicals to the ornamentals and planting beds as well as fertilizer to turf grass.

There are limitations, I must apply pest control agents to the ornamentals by mechanical means, such as a back pack sprayer, I may not apply any pest control agent to the turf grass & that includes a "weed and feed" product. Check with your local extension what your requirements are, if any.

The label tells you whether or not it's restricted use. Commercial quantity is usually too much for an economical home owner application. Unless you got a bunch of acres, there'll be a bunch of dangerous chemicals in your storage facility for a long time.

Also, John Deere (LESCO) is way overpriced (my opinion). Like Michael said, you can get Arena at Home Depot, just saying.