Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I tell people Im slow now and they want a price for a walk now

Just wanted some of your guys input. do you guys adjust your price when you

guys don't have to much work going on, or should I have the mentality of I can

sit on my couch and watch t.v if I am not going to make any money on it.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, they think because your slow that you will do it for less just so you have work. I have gotten into the habit of always telling people I am busy.... this does a couple of things.....
1. Lets them know your not going to drop your price just to get work
2. Also seems like your selling alot of jobs meaning you do good work/have a good price
3. Gives me more time to put together a plan and estimate and I don't feel rushed.

Sometimes when after I meet with people they will call with " I know you said you were busy, but did you get a chance to quote our project", puts me in the power chair, which is always where you want to be.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gotten good at seperating the chaff from the wheat when they call us.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When the recession first hit I had many prospective clients say to me "how's business, SLOW?" And they would say that with a hopeful tone that I would say "yes". Maybe it's my paranoia, but I swear they were hoping our slowdown would give them a bargain.

I have never told people we're slow when we are slow. I think it's sends mixed signals.

And I do offer what I call "Winter Discounts". I make sure the prospective client is aware that the price offered is a winter discount and must be accepted by a certain date. And I make them aware of what the job would cost any other time.

A little money is better than no money.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

when somebody asks when we can do the work I usually tell them that we have a few real large jobs scheduled and I beleive we have enough time to squeeze them between a couple others if we can move our schedule around enough. Itt ells them you are busy but also lets them feel a little special like you are going to find special time just for them.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input guys makes sense, not to tell people your slow my Graphics guy always says the same answer .. (were Steady) I guess so I think he isn't rich and that he has work.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

So when you guys that lie to the customer about being slow show up a couple days later to do the job, do you think that the customer thinks you dumped your schedule just for them?

If lowering your price is the only way you will get the job, then you know your costs and the point that it is not worth it.

For me, I have year round employees. If I can pay their wages and wear and tear on the equipment, then I will forgo any profit on the job. Even the wheelbarrow sitting at the shop costs me money.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5966 View Post
So when you guys that lie to the customer about being slow show up a couple days later to do the job, do you think that the customer thinks you dumped your schedule just for them?

If lowering your price is the only way you will get the job, then you know your costs and the point that it is not worth it.

For me, I have year round employees. If I can pay their wages and wear and tear on the equipment, then I will forgo any profit on the job. Even the wheelbarrow sitting at the shop costs me money.

I jus read through all the posts in this topic and I'm not seeing where plural "guys" stated / implied that they're "lying".

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5966 View Post

Most the large companies in my area are bidding this way. They are cheap because they just want to recover there overhead. The problem with that is it will come back to haunt them. They are only driving the prices down and making the industry less profitable.

It's almost a backwards way of low-balling that people complain about in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Most the large companies in my area are bidding this way. They are cheap because they just want to recover there overhead. The problem with that is it will come back to haunt them. They are only driving the prices down and making the industry less profitable.

It's almost a backwards way of low-balling that people complain about in my opinion.
Thats my thought to. My fear would be that if I lower my price to get a job when I am slow then that is probably going to end up being the customer who ends up referring me a 1/2 dozen jobs. Now I'm stuck giving a price to people and haveing them say something like "but you only charged my neighbor xxxx.xx