Register free!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Today was in the 80's with 100% humidity. Woke up to thick fog almost like a mist. Growth is nil. Hoping it will all stay green this year. I hate brown SA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Im just outside of JAX and a lot of our yards will probably be every 3 weeks it looks like, there are a few that are still growing slowly, but steadily. We use 12 month renewable contracts, and take care of other things when the grass isnt growing in the "cold" part of winter.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ville native View Post
Yeah, lol and they won't even really need it in a month but I'll do them anyways so that they look nice and trimmed up for the winter. I actually looked over my record books from last year and I had some lawns that I cut for the last cut of the year in November and then didn't cut them again until March
Last year the state was hit with a cold front and all the way down here we had our first freeze by the very end of December!! That is why you cuts were done last year in November for sure.

Depends on my lawns and the care it gets....most are fine after one week for sure...a majority have so far still needed cut so far on the second week, a few could make it three weeks for sure especially if they are not only any fert program. The biggest things I face on some of them is edging does not look crisp and clean after too weeks for sure but could pass as looking reasonable if they were not paying me

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
We use 12 month renewable contracts, and take care of other things when the grass isnt growing in the "cold" part of winter.
Like what other things? Shrubs still need to be tightened up here and there but the last couple years after a freeze even they have halted growth too during this time frame. Are these residential customers or commercial? I would think year round would be a hard sell up there?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Like what other things? Shrubs still need to be tightened up here and there but the last couple years after a freeze even they have halted growth too during this time frame. Are these residential customers or commercial? I would think year round would be a hard sell up there?
Mike I could be wrong but I think they have a lot more deciduous trees up there so I would think leaf cleanups would be constant...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Mike I could be wrong but I think they have a lot more deciduous trees up there so I would think leaf cleanups would be constant...
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess - but if it was anything like back home in the north where I am from - it would be hard I would think to give a price on tree clean ups built into your yearly estimate as many factors could effect the outcome...dont know I am interested to here how they do it up there for sure if one of them would answer.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Its mostly small clean up things, oak leaf clean ups, balls of peat moss, dead palm fronds, keeping the driveway,sidewalks clean,shrubs/hedges, etc... Little stuff a homeowner could deal with themselves, but just continue to want their lawn service to handle throughout the year.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm dreading the abundant acorn harvest that is soon to come.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I'm dreading the abundant acorn harvest that is soon to come.
Posted via Mobile Device
Already have them dropping like crazy on a couple of properties with older establsihed trees. On Monday, I have two right next to each other which both are acorn nightmares, we blew off one of the properties, went to the next property and blew it off, on the way back to the trailer I bet you there were 40 acorns already back in the first driveway. I do not charge for really doing a proper job of actually raking and removing them and I have no interest in doing so. I hate the little suckers.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Last year was the worst year I had ever seen for acorns. This year is worse.