Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

There is money in sod in good times when construction is booming. Right now I am not so sure I would want to be in the Sod Business. Lack of construction has a lot of sod guys hungry and bidding low.

Current Sod Cost in the field is $ 0.15 a sq ft or $ 60.00 a 400 sq ft pallet of St Augustine. Bahia sod can go as low as $ 15.00 a 400 sq ft pallet.

Pricing for installation. you should figure half your price is Tear out of the old Sod. Therefore a price of $ 300 a pallet means $ 150 is for sod cutting and removal of 400 sq ft. That means you are only getting $ 150 for laying a pallet you just paid $ 125 to have delivered. My point is having the Heavy Duty trucks and Equipment allows you to make a large margin if you have the volume.

Right now I am seeing competitve bids at $ 200 a pallet for total rip out and replacement by the big boys just to stay alive. I am in fact hooked up with a Sod Company that has me Kill off the present lawn and then over lays it with the new sod. Much to my surprise the jobs are not looking bad at all.

This is why I have no problem passing on sod work. I don't own a cutter or machines, and with people doing the work that cheap, it ain't worth it to me. If it a pallet or 1/2 pallet patch work, or a straight lay to an area that is bare or has been cleared, I will do that. But at that point(straight lay) most people would be bidding peanuts as it doesn't take a brain surgeon to do it.

On another note, I have a customer who we landscaped 3 years ago and he also had new sod and irrig. system installed. He previously had bahia with a lot of weeds. The sod was done in May right before the bahia started growing like crazy. The sod company sprayed the whole lawn, I cut it down to the dirt and they threw the St. Aug on top. I tell you, in 3 years, the only weeds that have popped up are broadleaves, and some areas that struggled during the dry months have had a little bermuda pop up, but other than that, this lawn looks awesome. A straight lay can work in certain situations, this being one of them.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's always a question of do I want work or not... That's the case for any work that comes along. If I don't really want the work, I price it high enough that if I got the work I'm not entirely dissapointed (although there IS work I just plain don't want... #10 PIA HO's). Or, if I'm too busy right now, I'll let the client know when I can do it and refer one of my friends in the business (we don't steal accounts from each other) who might do it sooner.

Sod is hard and dirty work, but when it comes to zero money and some money, some is always better... as long as it doesn't cost me to do the work, some money is always better

When times are lean, can't be too fussy about what's for dinner.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

WTF happened? I mowed a few lawns on Monday the 21st that had not been cut in two weeks. They were a little overgrown. I thought, well maybe next week I might have to do these at 10 days. I went back yesterday to trim some hedges at two of them. Keep in mind, these were cut 7 days ago. They needed to be mowed then! I didn't have the mower, so I had to go back and do them today. Same story at a couple more I looked at today. Several need to go back to weekly. I hope this cold is enough to slow them. I'm not looking forward to cutting numerous lawns weekly in December.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Job security , soil moisture and growth are definitely higher than last fall.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
WTF happened? I mowed a few lawns on Monday the 21st that had not been cut in two weeks. They were a little overgrown. I thought, well maybe next week I might have to do these at 10 days. I went back yesterday to trim some hedges at two of them. Keep in mind, these were cut 7 days ago. They needed to be mowed then! I didn't have the mower, so I had to go back and do them today. Same story at a couple more I looked at today. Several need to go back to weekly. I hope this cold is enough to slow them. I'm not looking forward to cutting numerous lawns weekly in December.
Keith, this is why I outline in my estimate that the price is based off of 38 cuts. That way if we have a warmer than usual winter, or an early spring/summer, I'm not cutting weekly for free. I have one guy with a very nice and vigorous St Aug lawn that wasn't overgrown last week, but 2 weeks would have been. I already established with him last year that anything above 38 is extra and he paid me for 5 extra cuts early this year and one last week. I also did the same last year with 3 other customers and they didn't complain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Keith, this is why I outline in my estimate that the price is based off of 38 cuts. That way if we have a warmer than usual winter, or an early spring/summer, I'm not cutting weekly for free. Posted via Mobile Device
Good thinking! That's why we should always put our services and fees in writting so there can be no misunderstanding.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Money is not the issue. It was just an observation about the weather. I could not believe that I would actually have to go back to weekly on a few lawns when it is almost the first of December. The reality is this weather right now should shut it down. It's just a little late getting here.

On the money, I don't have a hard and fast rule of how many times I will cut a lawn per year. I guess the number in my head is 41 or 42. If this becomes a trend, then yeah, I would have to reevaluate my monthly prices. But for the last several years the spring has been so arid that going back to weekly has been pushed that back to nearly May.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
We have been spoiled the last couple of years is what happened. If you recall last year at this time we had that early frost and life was good as we got nailed several nights in a row the end of November, which turned everything brown as heck. I know I did not do anything for awhile because the frost essentially shut everything down.
Not sure if I want that to come again this year or not but I will take the recent drop in temp as today and yesterday were outstanding days to be working outside. This morning my nipples got a little hard it was so cold when I first walked outside

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
This morning my nipples got a little hard it was so cold when I first walked outside
That's odd, I think I'm a little wet
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We had some rain last week and temp in the low 80's . I dont care how much it grows I dont start weekly mowing until April. Always have always will. I need to make my money in the winter because those summers really take its toll on the body. I am enjoying my time off. It is going quick (4 months to weekly mowing )