Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
We had some rain last week and temp in the low 80's . I dont care how much it grows I dont start weekly mowing until April. Always have always will. I need to make my money in the winter because those summers really take its toll on the body. I am enjoying my time off. It is going quick (4 months to weekly mowing )
Dude, it just started dont even talk with that blasphemy yet. I just hope for one good freeze.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

To all of you that have been doing this a while, tell me that in the middle of August you haven't seriously contemplated moving to a cooler climate. I know I do. I know I start thinking about it in May and don't quit until about now.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
To all of you that have been doing this a while, tell me that in the middle of August you haven't seriously contemplated moving to a cooler climate. I know I do. I know I start thinking about it in May and don't quit until about now.
Guilty as charged, every single year !
Old 12-02-2011, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I love the heat and humidity. Temperatures much below 78 and I'll get chilled doing nothing.

My wife and I turn the AC down to 76 at night and sleep with a down comforter...

I hate being cold!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I love the heat and humidity. Temperatures much below 78 and I'll get chilled doing nothing.

My wife and I turn the AC down to 76 at night and sleep with a down comforter...

I hate being cold!
Plus 1 - lived up north in that sh8t long enough. Last year I was there I got a week of temps in the mid 60's followed by 18 inches of snow the next week

Now I will take the ease of growing grass up there anyday. Resod? Nope why would you - just throw down some seed and call it done. I was thinking about this the other day. Down here we give too much of our work away. Take shrubs for example. Up north Shrubs can bring a premium to be trimmed and pruned. Now we are not talking a once a month premium...but rather the owner will pay damn good money to have them pruned and trimmed maybe two to three times a year on some properties. They work less on the shrubs in a year than many of us do in a couple of months and get to charge for it. Down here we trim the hell out of them for a little extra each month - and with our growth rate on some of them - that may mean trimming every week a little.
Like I said the weather is a lot better but everything else is a little hard for us and we get paid a little less for it along the way. Just not make a whole lot of sense.
Now who does have the advantage down here is the L and O operators as it is commom place to have one on your residential lawn here to protect you from cinch bugs etc even if you are not going for lawn of the month. Up north if you are not going for lawn of the month - guess what - a bag of Scotts takes a homeowner a long way - if they lose some turf - no biggie - pick up a bag of seed and throw it down and water - chia lawn in 7 to 10 days.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We need more than one freeze. I want at least 2 this year. Last year was great. Some lawns went 5 to 6 weeks before being cut.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
We need more than one freeze. I want at least 2 this year. Last year was great. Some lawns went 5 to 6 weeks before being cut.
Plus 1 - let the freezes happen around ....mmmmmmmm....lets say late Feb.....life would be grand and our pockets would be fat.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Plus 1 - let the freezes happen around ....mmmmmmmm....lets say late Feb.....life would be grand and our pockets would be fat.
+10. I'm all for more freezes, but as long as we get 1 I will be happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like a good prolonged (24-48 hours max) freeze. It beefs up the renovation work for spring.

But Michael, I hear you on the benefits of Northern LC maintenance. But consider this, they have to suck wind for four to six months out of the year. They have to hustle to clean leaves & plow snow... The leaves will be there, but any school kid with a rake, a blower and some bags can do that and the HO will shaft the LCO to save a couple of bucks on clean up. Then, what if it doesn't snow?

I got a 365 day season here. I think it balances out in my favor. Currently my problem is not that S. Augustine is not growing much, the problem is that it remains relatively robust.

Fairly regular rain, (it's raining even as I type this) higher than normal temperatures introduce a lot of problems that have usually gone away by now. Fungus remains a major issue as well as grubs. I haven't seen too much on the cinch bug yet.

We have to remain on high alert for outbreaks so we don't get a WTF happened to my lawn call.