Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2011, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"fish tank approach" ahahahahahahaha lol
Old 11-26-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I reviewed this thread. What's missing are questions about the drainage area that would give insight into the volume of water flowing through the problem area. Nor is the percent of grade questioned that would give an understanding to how fast the water is flowing. Nobody questions the slope imperfections that allows the water to gather into a stream flow rather than sheet flow. And nobody seems to take note that the size of the boats on the lake indicate a rather large lake. There is most certainly a seasonal high water elevation. Can you see on the far side of the lake that no vegetation grows down to the water?

How people calling themselves landscapers can make suggestions without knowing these important details is beyond me.

Lawn might be a good idea, but a high lake level could lead to a dead lawn.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls8xx View Post
I reviewed this thread. What's missing are questions about the drainage area that would give insight into the volume of water flowing through the problem area. Nor is the percent of grade questioned that would give an understanding to how fast the water is flowing. Nobody questions the slope imperfections that allows the water to gather into a stream flow rather than sheet flow. And nobody seems to take note that the size of the boats on the lake indicate a rather large lake. There is most certainly a seasonal high water elevation. Can you see on the far side of the lake that no vegetation grows down to the water?

How people calling themselves landscapers can make suggestions without knowing these important details is beyond me.

Looking at the trees proximity to the lake bank, I am guessing high water doesn't occur that often. But you make a valid point. But there are a couple to made the "fish tank approach" or a line of river rock to the bank.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls8xx View Post

Based on the photos provided, I see no major wash out areas. I do not see anything concerning. Maybe I'm missing something. If that's the case then perhaps we need better photos, or maybe the problem area needs to be circled in the picture, as I'm not seeing anything of big concern.

I live on the side of a mountain, with a steep driveway, etc. Along with my neighbors who's sitework was done by my company.

You make some good points. But here we go again with the "Blanket Statements". In other words, some folks with limited experience may need to ask the questions you mentioned. And some of the folks with success in drainage issues - may not need to ask questions, their responses may be based on successful experiences.

When trying to make a point about knowledge, expertise, and skill level, on this forum - I always use this analogy:

If I bake something in my kitchen I get out a recipe and I measure everything out to a tee. Well if you watch the cooking/baking shows on TV - they do NOT measure ANYTHING! A heap here, heap there, dash of this dash of that. This is how I work in my business.

Anyway, a lush, healthy turf is almost always the best erosion control blanket. Oldest soil stabilizer in the world.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 11-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Anyway, a lush, healthy turf is almost always the best erosion control blanket. Oldest soil stabilizer in the world.

My cottage property sits 4' above a very large body of water that sees spring floods that often come up and over my front lawn. It washed out one part of a small patio last season, but had no affect on my sodded lawn. I'm for sodding it.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Maryland we have this little body of water called the 'Chesapeak Bay'. Home of the MD Blue Crab.

It's a huge thing in MD that all do everything we can to keep the bay clean. Otherwise we'll run out of crabs to eat.

And the most beneficial way of keeping the bay clean is with grass. Its an erosion control system and it also filters the water. Nitrogen used on fertilizing grass is not such a good thing for the bay.

If you're a farmer - you're expected to plant winter wheat in your fields, this way the soil is stabilized with vegetation during the winter and sediment isn't washing down the interstate.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.