Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cordless hedge trimmers

Is anyone using them? We use HS45's but after several hundred shrubs they feel like they weigh 25 pounds. I am looking for something lightweight, powerful and decent battery life. These are not to be used for rejuvenation trimming...more do taking off new growth between trimmings. We maintain several Townhome HOA's, one of them 150 units with maybe 1000 or more shrubs. I would hardware an invertor to our NPR for powering charger. I'm not concerned about how long they last, but if they last a season I'd be happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spend the money and buy a good commercial gas trimmer. Those electric trimmers are for homeowners who only trim their shrubs once or twice a year.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
And a whole lotta other stuff
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

About two seasons ago before i used a gas one i had electric and it was alright wasn't enough power i now have a redmax it is great 24'' trimmer is a good size unless you want/need a extened one echo,stihl i would say for that.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
Spend the money and buy a good commercial gas trimmer. Those electric trimmers are for homeowners who only trim their shrubs once or twice a year.
If you reread my post I tell you I already have gas trimmers...and we don't want Stihl commercials ones...too heavy. Us like many on this forum us HS45's

We have spent the money on gas...we have two...they get really heavy after several hundred shrubs...these elec won't be used for heavy pruning, just weekly touchups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
If you reread my post I tell you I already have gas trimmers...and we don't want Stihl commercials ones...too heavy. Us like many on this forum us HS45's

We have spent the money on gas...we have two...they get really heavy after several hundred shrubs...these elec won't be used for heavy pruning, just weekly touchups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good to see you here. Been fighting all the libs by my self lol.

Dont really know of any battery powered commerical stuff. Doesnt Black and decker have a combo set chain saw trimmers etc?

I have a 30" single sided Kawasaki trimmer thats light weight and very realible, IOve had them 7 0r 8 years and still get used all the time.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

We have the HSA65 Stihls on one truck. As we replace gas powered trimmers, we're going to the battery powered units.

The Stihl 65 string trimmer is a bit weak but not that bad for quick work, the 85 is a much better unit. The cordless chainsaw is pretty decent for quick tree trimming.

You really have to have the entire Stihl system and an inverter on the truck to charge on the road to see the benefit. The lack of noise is the biggest benefit to the employees, and the lack of gas saves me money.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Stihl hedge trimmer weights more than the gas powered HS45...I want something light!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Battery string trimmers would never work for us...way too much trimming and edging...we are talking miles. Shrubs...thousands. This is all at one Townhome complex.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
About two seasons ago before i used a gas one i had electric and it was alright wasn't enough power i now have a redmax it is great 24'' trimmer is a good size unless you want/need a extened one echo,stihl i would say for that.
We are using the 24" Stihls now...which elec brand did you use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Black and Decker. It would work fine for what you are suggesting. See if you can get extra batteries for it.

I prefer a sharp, tight, new gas trimmer for every-thing. Particularly cedars. The battery powered B + D was purchased because it is less noisy in an echoie HOA

Electric equipment can be slower to use and the blades can also have smaller teeth which prevent fast efficient commercial work.