Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Apps and frost

Got a lco who wants me to do some apps. He says his commercial customers either need to be done before 8 or after 5. After 5 is dark so before 8 is best. We are expecting lows around 30 so there is the possibility of light frost. Ground is not frozen. Will an app over the frost harm the turf?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2011, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The apps won't harm the turf, you will leave brownish tiretrails on the turf, i have also seen footprints also. I would try a better day or see if he can get an exception from the prop owner on this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Frost tracks are ugly. Usually need a temp of around 27 degrees. Grass crinkles and sounds like like broken glass as you walk on it. A sudden frost is more likely to cause problems than if it has been cold for a few days first. A cloudy day that is not so cold is the best bet. Of course, there is always Saturday.

This needs an experiment. Try it guys--let me know what you find out. And get photos.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks guys. May need to push it back to the weekend unless we have a good breeze tonight to keep the air moving. Its been in the 70's the last few days and today the 50's with low around freezing. This is a LCO who has given me 2 "test" accounts so better safe than sorry
Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree, we often make fall apps around 30 with no trouble when we first get going in the am till about 10:00, but we use the push spreader (or chest spreader if possible) and hose, no ride on while the grass is frosty. If it gets much colder than that, it will leave tracks and so will footprints. Open areas are usually worse than small areas around the house. The BWC seems to work fine on these types of apps. If the times are set in stone, I'd just warn him of the risk and let him make the call.

Good luck!

GC
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope to try it on my yard tomorrow. Its 32 now and expected to go lower. Wait and see.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I can usually tell if I can have my spray techs come in at 8 or 10 depending on the sky the night before we spray. Go outside around 10pm or so and see if it cloudy or clear. A clear night will usually be a frost on the grass and if we have a cloudy night then there is usually no frost so we are spraying early in the morning.