Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting A sealcoating Compay..HELP

I am starting a sealcoating company with a partner this spring. any helpful information would be great. how much to charge per SF for residential and commercial? Crack filling, line striping? Best way to market my company?

thanks
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Just what Central Bucks needs, Another sealcoater!!!!! you have a ton of competition in that area! Well proven strong companies. My best advice DONT HAVE A PARTNER!!!! partners are meant for dancing. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice and not helping out what so ever. i appriciate it!!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

sounded like good advise for someone that knows nothing about the business he wants to start.

if the market is saturated it will be very difficult for you to make a profit considering your start up costs. remember since you have a partner profits are cut in half...and you still have things to pay for...
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

it was horrible advice. i asked certian questions in my post and you answered none. i have no start up costs! my partner is a very wealthy man and is INVESTING 45,000 into the company...not a loan i do not pay that back. my flatbed is 15,000 hes putting 10,000 down and the other 5,000 is a small auto loan. i have a estimating vehicle. and all the equipment is being bought brand new cash! he also put 8,000 in an account to cover 3 months salary. the company he owns now has a 5,000 SF office/garage that i get to run my business out of for the first 1-2 years depending how we do. again this is his investment not a loan. Also i know plenty about sealcoating ive been doing it for 3 years working for somoeone on the side but doesnt mean i know the pricing for estimates....if you cant help me then please get a life and stop blogging negative crap on my feed....thanks pal
Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

First off, that was a different person that you just FLAMED for a post that I put up!!! So read the posts. Second now 2 people BOTH told you don't do it with a partner!! Third Just because you might be able to seal a driveway doesn't mean you know how to run a business!!!! If you don't want to listen to what people say DONT ASK FOR ADVICE!!! I gave you a HUGE bit of advice that I will bet MOST in this business(in most business's) will agree, DONT DO IT WITH A PARTNER!!! I was not in any way trying to be negative at all, just trying to offer ADVICE/OPINION!! Its worth what you paid for it, but you should not berate anyone for taking the time to offer up any opinions or advice when you ask. Whether or not I know you doesn't really matter I am sure we have come across paths a time or two, and will in the future. I will still offer up the same Advice/Opinion. I have an established business, as do MANY others in the area you are looking. I am happy to take the time to respond but don't be upset when people don't ADVISE to you what you would like to hear!!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

i asked for help....never asked for advice. i asked for estimating help thats it. if these are things you cant help me with then thats fine no harm no foul. but if you dont want to help me with the questions i ask well then please dont comment on my post. im not looking to be rich im looking to make a living.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Either way, i do thank you guys for the advice. if i had the opportunity to do this alone i would! but i dont! and im not trying to go into this business having enemies and step on someones toes so my apologies. this is just something i was very excited about and seems like you guys crushed it.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not trying to crush any dreams, I am trying to offer some honest advice. Having been in business for myself for 25 years with and without a partner, I would NEVER do it again and I always tell people that ask not to do it. It sounds to me like you are delving in way deep if your spending 45k. I started for 12k. Keep your expenses low. Do as much as possible yourself, depend on NO_ONE. And work your A$$ off. You only have 6-7 months to make your money, and with a partner, whether its payback now or later, its hard to do it with a seasonal business.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Partner and investor are not interchangeable terms. Who do think will expect to be paid/reimbursed first?
Posted via Mobile Device