Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hedge Trimming (when?)

when do you guys trim hedges/perennial bushes? i was talking to a lady at the greenhouse and she said that trimming going into winter is questionable because we don't know how cold of a winter we are going to get...do most of you trim early spring before they bud?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

On my full service accounts they get done three times a year: late March- early April, mid June and mid September. Most other customers want them done in the spring and early summer, but I will do them pretty much when ever they want. If I think it is best not to trim at the time, I will try to advise them of a better time.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have customers who want it for two i think that is fine i do bushes/trees not the tall ones that you use a pole pruner but with hedger and my 6' ladder my 24'' trimmer is fine and the ladder 6'' works great for all types.A trim usually in early/mid summer and one in sept around fall,i dont do it early since the growth wait till pretty much that is done.i have a guy who does pruning for the tall stuff like bradford pears and trimming parkway trees that i refer for them if they would like he is a echo pole saw.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
when do you guys trim hedges/perennial bushes? i was talking to a lady at the greenhouse and she said that trimming going into winter is questionable because we don't know how cold of a winter we are going to get...do most of you trim early spring before they bud?
It depends on the plant. There is no such thing as a perennial bush. There are perennials and there are shrubs. You need to know the difference before you begin to prune. For instance lilacs should be pruned after they bloom.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
he is a echo pole saw.
Stihl
9mm
Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
Sorry Has?
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1-3 times a year depending on the shrub and the customer

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Butler View Post
It depends on the plant. There is no such thing as a perennial bush. There are perennials and there are shrubs. You need to know the difference before you begin to prune. For instance lilacs should be pruned after they bloom.
There are such things as perennial bushes. In fact most plants considered a bush are perennials. Trees are perennials.

There are optimal times for pruning certain plants. I cant list them all here but you should know what you are pruning first then research the plant and determine the best time to prune. A general rule: Bushes that bloom in spring, before June, should be pruned after they flower as flowers bud are present in late summer/fall. Bushes that bloom after June 1 can be pruned in spring before flush.

Your original question regarding pruning late is a valid concern. Often you can get freeze damage on the ends of recently trimmed branches, if trimmed too late and cold weather sets in.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Leo the Landscaper;4219431]There are such things as perennial bushes. In fact most plants considered a bush are perennials. Trees are perennials.

Sorry, I must disagree: perennials (by definition) are vascular plants that do NOT return and regrow from the previous year's growth. They die to the ground and return completely new the following season. (Except in the tropics - that's another, different discussion.) This is the reason that it is best to cut perennial plants to the ground in the Fall and remove the debris so that the new growth will come unimpeded in the Spring.

Trees and shrubs are woody plants that sprout new growth from old wood the following season and increase in size in that way.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Kate Butler;4219978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Landscaper View Post
There are such things as perennial bushes. In fact most plants considered a bush are perennials. Trees are perennials.

Sorry, I must disagree: perennials (by definition) are vascular plants that do NOT return and regrow from the previous year's growth. They die to the ground and return completely new the following season. (Except in the tropics - that's another, different discussion.) This is the reason that it is best to cut perennial plants to the ground in the Fall and remove the debris so that the new growth will come unimpeded in the Spring.

Trees and shrubs are woody plants that sprout new growth from old wood the following season and increase in size in that way.
I understand why you are disagreeing with me but you should preface the word perennial with the word herbaceous to be correct in the way you are using it.

A perennial by definition is a plant that continues to live regardless of when it flowers as opposed to annuals (germinate, flower, seed in one year) and biennials (germinate flower, seed over two years). It has nothing to do with weather or not it dies to the ground or not. It has to do with life cycle in relation to flowering.

Trees and bushes are perennials, more specifically woody perennials, but they are perennials.

The blanket statement that perennials plants should be cut back in the fall is not 100% true. Most herbaceous perennials should be cut back in the fall, I agree. What about plants like Russian Sage, Buddleia sp, some Artemisias, lavenders, Hypericum and others; these are plants considered to be herbaceous perennials, depending on location, but should be cut back in spring.

One should be able to properly identify the plants they are trimming and research when it is best to prune/trim them.