Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Any bush that flowers should be trimmed as soon as they are done flowering. Trimming them too late can prevent them from blooming the next year, especially lilacs. I've always believed the best time to trim bushes is late Spring/early Summer but I get calls all season long from people wanting bush trimming, even in the Fall. I explain my opinion but will trim when requested, otherwise they would just call somebody else to do the job.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I general trim hedges and bushes 3 times spring summer and fall, for most I find it easier to keep a nice clean line if its done often, and they never looked trimmed its the look both my customers and I like.
Having said that, I totally agree with Kate and Leo - takes some time to id all your bushes on a particular property - cause there are bushes like lilacs that can be pretty shakey, if you cut them back too much they will take revenge and skip a year of bloom, I give them a week after the flowers have bloomed and wilted, then I am very selective. I learned this after cut 50% of the growth off my patch of lilacs it took me two years of begging before they fllowered again. LOL
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Butler View Post
There is no such thing as a perennial bush.
Hydrangea,Butterfly Bush.............http://www.google.com/search?q=peren...w=1366&bih=643

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_plant

A perennial plant or simply perennial (Latin per, "through", annus, "year") is a plant that lives for more than two years.[1] The term is often used to differentiate a plant from shorter lived annuals and biennials.The term is sometimes misused by commercial gardeners or horticulturalists to describe only herbaceous perennials. More correctly, woody plants like shrubs and trees are also perennials.

Perennials, especially small flowering plants, grow and bloom over the spring and summer and then die back every autumn and winter, then return in the spring from their root-stock rather than seeding themselves as an annual plant does. These are known as herbaceous perennials. However, depending on the rigors of local climate, a plant that is a perennial in its native habitat, or in a milder garden, may be treated by a gardener as an annual and planted out every year, from seed, from cuttings or from divisions.