Register free!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

fixing leaking retaining wall

I have a very good customer who owns a lot of properties. He has a Walgreens that has a very tall retaining wall that over the years has shifted. The dirt it is supposed to hold now runs out of the crack. He just wants a quick & cheap fix for now. I figured we could just remove brick clean out where it has leaked and reset. Would this hold for awhile until earth shifts again (We have had 4 earthquakes in past year...Oklahoma). I told him I would go ahead and give him the high side of putting some fabric on other side and then filling in with gravel instead of dirt to help this problem in the future. Am I going about this the right way?

I figure to remove 7 layers of rock and reset = $1500 give or take

I figure to to above and bring in loads of rock = $3500

This is first job like this I have attempted and don't want to be on the low side and also don't want to be too high b/c he gives me a lot of business.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sounds to me like you're flirtin with disaster.

get your hands in the pot and 9 yrs from now when the wall completely fails you're named in the suit.

i know you're hating me right now, but before 7 different members here expend their time on advising you, can you please tell us about your experience with constructing retaining walls?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
sounds to me like you're flirtin with disaster.

get your hands in the pot and 9 yrs from now when the wall completely fails you're named in the suit.

i know you're hating me right now, but before 7 different members here expend their time on advising you, can you please tell us about your experience with constructing retaining walls?

nope not hating you at all! that's why i got on here b/c i wanted to know what this job would actually entail before I gave the bid and go ahead. I've put several retaining brick walls together but nothing this tall before. it doesn't look to have any sort of support system though. just all stacked straight up. I would imagine there should have been some sort of rebar system in place behind it or something?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If he gives you lots of business and you want to keep it that way, find a qualified contractor that can tackle this job along with an engineer. Just by mentioning rebar I can tell you have no idea how this works, also your price is way off and nobody in here can or should give you a price without seen the site and the engineer report and drawings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferbum21 View Post
nope not hating you at all! that's why i got on here b/c i wanted to know what this job would actually entail before I gave the bid and go ahead. I've put several retaining brick walls together but nothing this tall before. it doesn't look to have any sort of support system though. just all stacked straight up. I would imagine there should have been some sort of rebar system in place behind it or something?
That statement tells me that you do not have the experience you need to tackle this job.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferbum21 View Post
ok, but, these are not "brick" walls.....

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are no "cheap fixes" that will work.

The entire wall will need to be pulled apart and rebuilt, or at least from the crack up which looks to be about 4 courses high if I am seeing it right.

Depending on what it looks like behind the wall will determine how much of a PITA it would be.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya that wall has a lot more issues then just mud bleeding. You should probably walk on this one I don't see any way regard would help you in any such way. It don't pay to be cheap if he is that good of a customer he will understand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a written agreement with him that you are in no way responsible for anything that happens to the wall. I would clean the crack out as good as possible and pump it full of block adhesive if the crack isn't too wide. That's about as good as you're going to do to stop the problem of leakage other than rebuilding the entire wall. That wall has geogrid behind it for sure (or it definitely should)
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
Have a written agreement with him that you are in no way responsible for anything that happens to the wall. I would clean the crack out as good as possible and pump it full of block adhesive if the crack isn't too wide. That's about as good as you're going to do to stop the problem of leakage other than rebuilding the entire wall. That wall has geogrid behind it for sure (or it definitely should)
Saying "Joe the contractor is not responsible...." is not the correct wording.

Correct wording would be something like "client accepts all responsibility and or liability blah blah blah......"

Because the management company may agree that you're not liable, doesn't mean the actual owner or a visitor to the property will agree with that.

No matter what, liability ALWAYS falls on SOMEONE. You have to identify WHO will accept the liability. You can't just write "not me"

I'm not trying to be a jerk This is something I see contractors handle incorrectly all the time, and I'm trying To share some insight.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 11-21-2011 at 09:28 AM.