Register free!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

The problem here is that the wall was not constructed properly to begin with. Any wall taller than four feet should have Geo-grid, if it is going to have any amount of pressure on it from dirt, traffic,etc, there should have been an area of slag behind the wall and a drain to remove the excess water that is now coming through it. Refer to a professional in this area of knowledge.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 4' rule is for a perfect world. Some walls under 4' need grid.

Always remember - if it was a perfect world...a wall would not be needed.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2011, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 11-21-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaLandscaping View Post
The key work in that cross section is Typical!!! Just from looking at the pictures above it looks to have a parking lot light above the wall. So I am going to assume that there is a parking lot to the edge of the wall, and must have some sort of run off collection system. AKA: not a typical wall section!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
The key work in that cross section is Typical!!! Just from looking at the pictures above it looks to have a parking lot light above the wall. So I am going to assume that there is a parking lot to the edge of the wall, and must have some sort of run off collection system. AKA: not a typical wall section!
I understand your point.....I was just trying to show the OP how a wall like that is built.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
You have to identify WHO will accept the liability. You can't just write "not me"

Posted via Mobile Device
I must be exhausted. I just keep re-reading this line and laughing out loud by myself. I Dunno why, but its hilarious (and very true).
Old 11-22-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My thought would be the base is failing causing that movement. Bad compaction, poor drainage (or none).....You could keep your good relationship with him by explaining the severity of the problem and look to professionals for guidance.....engineer or hardscaper with a lot of wall experience
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 11-27-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferbum21 View Post
I have a very good customer who owns a lot of properties. He has a Walgreens that has a very tall retaining wall that over the years has shifted. The dirt it is supposed to hold now runs out of the crack. He just wants a quick & cheap fix for now. I figured we could just remove brick clean out where it has leaked and reset. Would this hold for awhile until earth shifts again (We have had 4 earthquakes in past year...Oklahoma). I told him I would go ahead and give him the high side of putting some fabric on other side and then filling in with gravel instead of dirt to help this problem in the future. Am I going about this the right way?

I figure to remove 7 layers of rock and reset = $1500 give or take

I figure to to above and bring in loads of rock = $3500

This is first job like this I have attempted and don't want to be on the low side and also don't want to be too high b/c he gives me a lot of business.
How tall & long is the wall? Looks pretty f'n huge from the pic.

How did you arrive at the above prices? I would price it at easily 5x what you said.

Whats at the top of the wall? Asphalt? If so, there will be a big patch that will be needed once you finish backfill.

What equipment do you plan on using for this? Personally I would use a big skid steer or small loader and a 5-6t excavator. You will have skids and skids and skids of block to stack and store as you disassemble it.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe there is an engineer that designed it the first time that can be called out to fix. With an engineering designing and doing special inspections they should be liable for the structure- correct?

I make sure to follow prints to the "t" even if I don't agree with them 100% the moment I deviate it becomes my problem.

We saw cut duct chases into a cast in place concrete hotel. I noticed some cracking close to one of the locations we were to cut.... you can be sure I photographed and sent to the arch/engineer on the job and got approval prior to cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device