Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda Civic Winter Rig... 35MPG check it out

I have a medium-sized Ford Ranger that I use for most of the year's yard cleanups / maintenance, which works great for what I ask of it... My idea is that since Winter is here and I am going to try and make most of my services revolve around my Pressure Washer, why couldn't I use my 91 Honda Civic Sedan to cart the pressure washer around in and do only ground level work on Fences, Decks, Concrete, and Patio Furniture??? It gets 30-35MPG and this would allow me to spread my service radius out to almost 40 miles, and the cost effectiveness with fuel savings would really look nice on profits as well...

Winter is slow, and driving the Ranger @ 15MPG just isn't very cost effective for one-time jobs like Pressure Washing. I just did a Full-Tuneup on the Civic as well so using it would allow me to do seasonal repairs on the Ford and maybe even get it ready to be sold, as I plan on upgrading to either a Straight 6 300CID F-250 or a Diesel F-250 for next Spring.

As far as professional image is concerned, I have Magnet-Logo's that can be transferred from the Ranger to the Civic (they don't look all that out of place either) and both vehicles are registered to my business... Has anyone ever done this before??? It seems like a great idea, as the pressure washing equipment doesn't weigh all that much and is fairly compact.

Let me know what you all think, I appreciate all the feedback I can get as I am new to FT Career Landscaping
Stihl 16 inch bar Chain Saw
Beat up MTD 21 inch Side Discharge Mower
Tired Yard Machines attachment ready Line Trimmer
WeedEater hand Blower & Hedge Trimmers
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis360 View Post
I have a medium-sized Ford Ranger that I use for most of the year's yard cleanups / maintenance, which works great for what I ask of it... My idea is that since Winter is here and I am going to try and make most of my services revolve around my Pressure Washer, why couldn't I use my 91 Honda Civic Sedan to cart the pressure washer around in and do only ground level work on Fences, Decks, Concrete, and Patio Furniture??? It gets 30-35MPG and this would allow me to spread my service radius out to almost 40 miles, and the cost effectiveness with fuel savings would really look nice on profits as well...

Winter is slow, and driving the Ranger @ 15MPG just isn't very cost effective for one-time jobs like Pressure Washing. I just did a Full-Tuneup on the Civic as well so using it would allow me to do seasonal repairs on the Ford and maybe even get it ready to be sold, as I plan on upgrading to either a Straight 6 300CID F-250 or a Diesel F-250 for next Spring.

As far as professional image is concerned, I have Magnet-Logo's that can be transferred from the Ranger to the Civic (they don't look all that out of place either) and both vehicles are registered to my business... Has anyone ever done this before??? It seems like a great idea, as the pressure washing equipment doesn't weigh all that much and is fairly compact.

Let me know what you all think, I appreciate all the feedback I can get as I am new to FT Career Landscaping
I think you could end up leaving money on the table. Say said customer needs other work done that you can't perform with such civic or you don't have all the equipment to perform a task not spoken about before hand. Sounds like you're a handyman, pressure washer, and landscaper doing this out of a civic doesn't seem smart. I know fuel is a cost but it should be in your bid. IMHO I would focus on selling more and making a dollar rather than saving a nickle.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So who's gunna run yur business when u die from inhaling fumes from gas cans etc... With the heater on when its 30deg outside ????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A real pressure washer doesn't fit in a Civic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
A real pressure washer doesn't fit in a Civic.
Posted via Mobile Device
GOOD POINT! most are the size of a civic!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It kinda doesn't look to great. I have a nice looking 98 Civic hatch back that I use for.estimates and.such. Hopefully I will never have to put my Ybravo 25 in the back of.the hatch with a trimmer and hand blower. I have a back.up tow.vehicle in case.my truck.is.ever.down.

Try to combine.trips.as.much.as.possible...use the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it would be a problem to use the civic on occasion when you are fixing something on your truck, if you are getting it ready to be sold/traded-in this spring. I would try and use the truck for the most part.

A truck is just so much more practical and definately projects a more professional image. With the pick-up you are able to carry most tools that you may need for the day without having to drive back to the customer's place again after going home to get the proper equipment.

Like I said, if you use the civic only when your truck is down and getting fixed, I think you could make it work. But I wouldn't make the civic your main vehicle this winter.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't realize pressure washing was a winter business. Where do you get your water from....don't people turn their outdoor spigots off for winter? Frozen hoses, water on decks and sidewalks that can freeze and create a slip/fall hazard. And what happens to your pressure washer if it freezes? I know it's not real cold there but I thought it regularly got down to freezing in the winter.

What am I missing here?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Good point about the fumes from the pressure washer fuel... I really didn't think too much about that, or the fact that outside water lines may not be accessible. I'm really trying to get the ranger sold ASAP to upgrade to a larger truck like an F250 or an open box-bed truck (dumper without the dumping mechanism). I can use the ranger for basic jobs and the Civic for my bidding & miscellaneous maintenance instead, that way saving myself the hassles of loading / unloading the car.

So is pressure washing a viable business in the winter? I know we get more rain than anything here, so mold & mildew become more prevalent.
Stihl 16 inch bar Chain Saw
Beat up MTD 21 inch Side Discharge Mower
Tired Yard Machines attachment ready Line Trimmer
WeedEater hand Blower & Hedge Trimmers
Old 11-19-2011, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your tryin to save money on gas now, what do you think your gas bill will be like with an F-250?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
pressure washing , sealing , vehicle , winter work