Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chevy HD series,2011 MotorTrend Truck of Year

This is a great set of clips. I love chevy trucks. I've found them to be very productive. I use them, and i work them hard. Anyhow, here's the link:
http://www.chevrolet.com/hd-to-hd-truck-comparison/

Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just watched all the tests and found them to be informative. What I found interesting though is that only the acceleration test included the Dodge Ram. All the following tests did not make any mention of the Dodge Ram's results. I'm not partial to any one brand, but that leads me to believe that the Dodge is either better or right on par with the Chevy in all of the other tests.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have seen the tests. My father in law has new dodge 3/4 tone fancy whatever they call it 4 door diesel engine. I have 2011 4 door GMC xlt d-max

We did our own test. He sells milk replacer for cattle. Tailgate down and backed up to each other, my tailgate is about 1.25 inches higher. His truck is noisyer than mine (d-max) When loaded with two pallets on milk on bumper his does sag more in the rear end than mine did. When hooked up up to gooseneck, really could tell a difference. Milage, he has 23K on his truck and I have 19K on mine, i beat him every time.

Drag racing, being he is older he doesn't care so we did it, maybe I am faster responce time but I smoked him till I hit 85 and then blacktop ended and that was that.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

notice they made no mention of them all having similar rear end ratios. This test proves nothing about any of the trucks...
2006 Kubota 9540 w/8 foot galvanized Modern shredder
Gravely 36 inch walk-behinds
Echo and Shindiawa handhelds
16x8.5 Enclosed
24x8.5 Enclosed
16x8.5 Heavy Duty tandem trailer
Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow the Ford really looks that much nicer when they're side by side. lol that's all I got out of that video.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCastille View Post
notice they made no mention of them all having similar rear end ratios. This test proves nothing about any of the trucks...
I'm no mechanic by any means nor do i pretend to know a lot about rear end ratios. I can do basic maintenance, and that's about it. But from a consumers standpoint, including the fact that (assuming) many consumers are like me, the videos are a sure selling point.

When it comes down to work, My main truck is an 05 GMC sierra 4x4, she works hard every day pulling trailers, dumping leaves, going through all the mud at the dump etc etc. When it comes down to it, i want the best most durable truck i can get. I have to disagree with you on this one, the videos say a bunch about the trucks...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, make sure to watch the series of different test. I think there are 7 or so different videos...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A truck with a 3.42 rear end is going to pull so slow compared to the same truck with a 4:10 rear end. You put a 3.42 or a 3.55 rear end on that chevy and a 4.10 on both the dodge and ford and the chevrolet will lose everytime. You don't have to be a mechanic to understand that putting more torque on the road via the use of different gears means you can accelerate better. It's not rocket science, by any means.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

AND, the dodge puts out 800ft/lbs of torque as of 2011. The 650 ft/lbs for the dodge is a 2010 model spec. I call BS on this whole test. Not because I like Dodge more, I honestly like the Chevy a lot, I just think this test is biased to make the chevy look superior...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Of course, Chevy is selling their product it has to look good. BUT, I still don't understand your reasoning with the ratios, not saying you're wrong, i just don't see where you're coming from. To me i see three trucks all in the same class (1 ton) preforming the same test with multiple drivers, multiple times.

I also agree with what you're saying with the ratios, by putting a smaller one on the chevy and a larger one one the ford and dodge, the chevy will lose...These videos are proof that chevy has more torque. It proves it's best in it's class. Basically what you just said was like saying that you and i are in a weight lifting competition, in the same weight class but I can lift more than you, and i win. Your defense is saying that it's not fair because my muscles are bigger and if my muscles were the same size as yours you'd beat me, right? Same class, of truck but who has the bigger muscles...

I enjoy getting different thoughts on different topics, so by no means am i saying you're wrong, i'm just saying i'm right lol j/k