Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea it is but I must admit iv never stepped foot in the frog pond but you were near by. I drive on Naugatuck Ave every week and same with the Paradise Green area. Live on Wheelers Farms I got around 500 acres of woods behind my house and on the sides. Once the fall season ends ill be driving by your place quite often as its on the way to the poker tables at foxwoods and boy have I earned a vacation this year.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its the economy everybody out of work with a pick up is a landscaper now and a lot of people are cleaning up themselves

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnprosteveo View Post
I did call my existing customers. They are loyal and never question price. It's the new business I try to pick up that is the challenge. As for mulching and landfills, I take my leaves to a topsoil sales place, they turn mountains of leaves to topsoil. I used to mulch everything, but it just doesn't work on some of these small, heavily treed lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tell me more about this topsoil sales place. What is the process they use? Do they have a website? I like the idea and would have lots of raw materials basically for free up here. I am looking onto future business opportunities. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW ED View Post
Tell me more about this topsoil sales place. What is the process they use? Do they have a website? I like the idea and would have lots of raw materials basically for free up here. I am looking onto future business opportunities. Thanks.
I have 2 in my general area I'll describe the one I use for you. They lease about 10-12 acres and have permits to run a recycling yard. They have 10 dump trucks 8 are tri axles so they deliver. They have 2 skid steers an excavator and two 5 yard pay loaders then they have the screeners and one large 18 wheeler version of a tub grinder. They sell top soil mulch and rocks some sand and pavers and such. But where they make their real money is the 100000 yards of leaves and grass they compost each year then add in the wood chips. If you chip them they are free if they have to they charge 10 a yard then they dye them and sell colored mulch for like 28 a yard. The premium mulches they import same with the rocks but all soil is made on site. If I had to ball park it id say 1.5-2.5 million a year business. And 10 k a year of that comes from just me half from mulch and soil and half from dumping its sad I get to buy it back in a few years. Not sure if you have these types of business's in your are but you should its nice to pay by the yard and not by the pound for dumping.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. We have a city run compost site that is free to residents. They can haul trees, grass clippings, leaves, garden waste ect to this place. They compost the stuff and set the compost out when its cooked. The city picks up leaves with vacuum trucks and also a baler and they do give many of the bales to farmers who plow them under. The operation used to have a gatekeeper but now its open dawn to dusk on the honor system. (budget cuts). A large tub grinder comes by at least 2x a year to grind the wood.

I know the leaves turn to good stuff as I have watched some piles at customers houses turn real nice. I was wondering how a large operation works so thanks for your answer. I have to think about this a little. Have a good holiday season.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

It has been frustrating here as well, we had a light snow the first of the month, When it dried up we got about a week of clean-up's. Then last weekend we got over a foot of heavy wet snow. We use a vac to pick all the leaves and dump them on a trailer and haul them out to my pumpkin Patch.
Also this is where we dump all the grass from de-thatching in the spring. I am a displaced farm kid and enjoy playing in the dirt.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a place that I use that was just your normal bulk product sales place. They then started allowing FREE dumping of leaves, soil, wood, and other organic material but NO grass. I think I was the 3rd person to start dumping at this place and it was nothing special. The next year this pace was HUGE!!! Massive piles of compost and tree waste, dyed mulches, compost, topsoils, and other organic products that they sell. All landscapers used a town dump site that charged an arm and a leg for dumping. I've heard speculation that the town is debating on closing the place down because it costs too much to run. My thinking is everyone caught on to this other place where you can dump for free and get your materials right there.

Currently this place has about 3 or 4 large front loaders, skid steers, large double, triple dump trucks, and one massive dump truck, tub grinder, screeners, mulch dyer, enourmous topsoil shelter (and I mean enormous). So you would think they are doing quite well but who knows. I mean they get all this raw material for free. They do need to work on their consistency and their mulches are getting better in quality and the topsoils are great. They are an "Organic" Topsoil Farm so they don't take grass because of the concentration of chemicals in the grass that the EPA (or whatever agency) measures to certify them as organic. Lots of money tied up in land and equipment but I'm sure they sell thousands of yards of material each year. I had the "dream" of buying land and trying to do that type of business.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
its nice to pay by the yard and not by the pound for dumping.
Waste management has been charging me $25 a ton with a $15 minimum charge. I'd much prefer the per yard charge. Costs me thousands each year to dump stuff! I'm going to buy some land, dump on it, and burn it!

25 years old 7 years in business ownership