Register free!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most of those idiots don't have the money. They are leveraged to the eyeballs. Cars on leases, 1st, 2nd mortgages... it's all about appearance. They are the ones that are usually slow pay's too.

My wife and I have a modest mortgage, we own our vehicles, all the maintenance company's equipment is paid for. Our credit cards are paid off at the end of the month, etc.

I'm not interested in impressing people with the latest and the greatest. Like you and many others here, I'm happy with my $10.00 Kahkis from WM and the $2.00 long sleeved T-shirts I had printed for $1.25 each. The crews don't care they are $3.25 each, they are happy not to have to pay for them.

My faith tells me "neither a borrower or a lender be", "The poor will always be among us", "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven".

The problem with a lot of religious people is they have bought into the corporate faith and try to jam it down our throats, it's not about religion, it's about relationship.

that's it for me, know I was joking when I said "Tell us how you rally feel".
Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Most of those idiots don't have the money. They are leveraged to the eyeballs. Cars on leases, 1st, 2nd mortgages... it's all about appearance. They are the ones that are usually slow pay's too.

My wife and I have a modest mortgage, we own our vehicles, all the maintenance company's equipment is paid for. Our credit cards are paid off at the end of the month, etc.

I'm not interested in impressing people with the latest and the greatest. Like you and many others here, I'm happy with my $10.00 Kahkis from WM and the $2.00 long sleeved T-shirts I had printed for $1.25 each. The crews don't care they are $3.25 each, they are happy not to have to pay for them.

My faith tells me "neither a borrower or a lender be", "The poor will always be among us", "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven".

The problem with a lot of religious people is they have bought into the corporate faith and try to jam it down our throats, it's not about religion, it's about relationship.

that's it for me, know I was joking when I said "Tell us how you rally feel".
Do not forget about the lawn turds pulling around their lawn trailer with $40K brand new shiny trucks that they just bought. I will never understand that. Let me go get a brand new shiny truck so I can take it to work in a dusty environment, have the hell scratched out of it on a daily basis from all the small things, and oh yeah, make sure I get the leather seats so when I get in all sweaty from mowing the truck will eventually begin to smell like a old baseball glove or that old pair of sneakers I did not wear socks with.

Not sure if you guys have these type of guys as much down south but here in my area it just amazes me day after day how many guys I see driving new trucks. No I am not saying go all sanford and son either but their is a middle of the road which is appropriate in most cases. And personally I generally think less of the guys with the brand new trucks than I do with the guy who is pulling their stuff with a car or some other form as I at least know they understand the value of a dollar - even if it is a lot less these days.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$40k for a truck? That's low end They are less common than they were, but you still see the occasional decked out truck.

I guess whatever works for ya. I have never found a better deal on a year or two-old truck than I can get on a new one. Any older than that, it seems like I am buying someone elses problems. Personally, I prefer new trucks. And then I keep them for ten years. It's mine. It's always been mine. And I know everything about it. I don't get leather or cloth interior. I'll get the truck I want, but not loaded up. Vinyl interior and floors are a must.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
$40k for a truck? That's low end They are less common than they were, but you still see the occasional decked out truck.

I guess whatever works for ya. I have never found a better deal on a year or two-old truck than I can get on a new one. Any older than that, it seems like I am buying someone elses problems. Personally, I prefer new trucks. And then I keep them for ten years. It's mine. It's always been mine. And I know everything about it. I don't get leather or cloth interior. I'll get the truck I want, but not loaded up. Vinyl interior and floors are a must.
I agree. With a new truck you get at least a three year warranty(my tundra is 5 yr/60k on powertrain). I am going to keep my tundra for a long time and when it costs more to fix than to buy new, I will buy a new one. 40k is a little excessive unless you get all the bells and whistles(which I dont at all).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with buying new and then keeping the truck 10 years about 200,000 miles in my case. Bought my 2006 Tundra new, @ 108,000 miles just replaced u-joints other than that basic maintenance.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There's going to be some disagreement on this, no doubt.

We have a 1997 F350 7.9 ltr International diesel; 288,000 miles and a 1999 Dodge 3500 Cummings 5.9 Diesel 167,000 miles. The trucks were bought used, we've had them now for 5 and 7 years respectively.

No major problems, the usual maintenance, tires, brakes, filters, etc. We paid $5,500 and $ 9,000. respectively and have put about 100,000 miles on them (little more on the Dodge).

I can still get somewhere around $5,000 for the Ford and about $7,500 for the Dodge. Doing the math, I think we are doing OK. I couldn't beat the operating cost per mile with a new truck. I save big on insurance too since I dont need comprehensive.

We are always on the look out for young used mowers, blowers and handhelds too. Lot of the "I've failed at everything else so I'm going to Florida to cut grass" crowd burn out right about now, and bail out of the stuff they bought new.

I've yearned for a brand spanking new F350 King Ranch; but when I really think about it? I've been provided with exactly what I need. With a brand new truck I wouldn't want to get it dirty, dump gear or garbage in the bed, worry about scratching it, not to mention the nut I'd have to crack every month, etc.

And so I'm content with my provision; contentment comes not in getting what I want, contentment comes in wanting what I have!

Trailers on the other hand...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have ran new and used Fords and had good service out of them as well. I think the most important thing to do is buy at the right price new or used. I went to the dealer first when I bought my last and got his best price LOL, then went online and got a quote from one of the online new truck sellers, which of course was thousands less. I called the salesman at the dealer told him I would not be buying from them and why and faxed a copy of the deal from the online dealer and suddenly they could match it, so I bought from them and saved a trip to Tampa.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man... what happened to this thread?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
Wow did I hit nerve or what. It just goes to show you how our county is falling apart.
I mispelled that bafoon of a presidents name on purpose.
More like you came in and attacked us for being civil and wishing each other a happy thanksgiving. Some how you twisted it into a crazy rant about Obama and religion. It was a nice thread until you chimes in with your b.s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guys enjoying the weekend BS'ing back and forth. Not thinking about coming and peeing in the pool are you GT?
Posted via Mobile Device