Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
There's going to be some disagreement on this, no doubt.

We have a 1997 F350 7.9 ltr International diesel; 288,000 miles and a 1999 Dodge 3500 Cummings 5.9 Diesel 167,000 miles. The trucks were bought used, we've had them now for 5 and 7 years respectively.

No major problems, the usual maintenance, tires, brakes, filters, etc. We paid $5,500 and $ 9,000. respectively and have put about 100,000 miles on them (little more on the Dodge).

I can still get somewhere around $5,000 for the Ford and about $7,500 for the Dodge. Doing the math, I think we are doing OK. I couldn't beat the operating cost per mile with a new truck. I save big on insurance too since I dont need comprehensive.

We are always on the look out for young used mowers, blowers and handhelds too. Lot of the "I've failed at everything else so I'm going to Florida to cut grass" crowd burn out right about now, and bail out of the stuff they bought new.

I've yearned for a brand spanking new F350 King Ranch; but when I really think about it? I've been provided with exactly what I need. With a brand new truck I wouldn't want to get it dirty, dump gear or garbage in the bed, worry about scratching it, not to mention the nut I'd have to crack every month, etc.

And so I'm content with my provision; contentment comes not in getting what I want, contentment comes in wanting what I have!

Trailers on the other hand...
Ivan I agree with what your saying too. The only thing when buying an old vehicle is you just don't know what your going to get. You can get a gem that is in awesome shape and well taken care of or something you have to keep doing money into. Sounds like you got stuff that are working great though. I have heard many people getting 300k out of thier tundra, and that is exactly what I plan on doing with mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Not thinking about coming and peeing in the pool are you GT?

Who me?.... nah.

The water is plenty warm already.....

Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Price of 08 Home = $250,000
Price of using your father-in-law and your noggin = Priceless
Mike, you know I like you so don't take this the wrong way. But you can put me in that "old school" thinker category. All our houses in Florida are de valued but for me I would never squat in a house rent free and treat my personal obligation like a business. For me the biggest problem with the economy and this country is that there aren't enough old school thinkers anymore. The walk away and let someone else suffer for our actions is what gets us into these messes. As a matter of fact even in business I wouldn't walk away from a deal just because it didnt turn out the way I intended it too. It would be a lesson learned and not repeated. You win some and you lose some.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And about to get warmer.....

Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Mike, you know I like you so don't take this the wrong way. But you can put me in that "old school" thinker category. All our houses in Florida are de valued but for me I would never squat in a house rent free and treat my personal obligation like a business. For me the biggest problem with the economy and this country is that there aren't enough old school thinkers anymore. The walk away and let someone else suffer for our actions is what gets us into these messes. As a matter of fact even in business I wouldn't walk away from a deal just because it didnt turn out the way I intended it too. It would be a lesson learned and not repeated. You win some and you lose some.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can also look at it from the standpoint of the banks never expected the loan to succeed to maturity. I'd say he beat the banks at their own game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post

Man... what happened to this thread?

Just like any other conversation a group of guys might have, the conversation naturally flows to different subjects related to the people in the conversation.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You can also look at it from the standpoint of the banks never expected the loan to succeed to maturity. I'd say he beat the banks at their own game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot

There is a Legal and Moral Issue here. In many people's eyes Legally he is good, Morally he is a skunk.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No more than the realtor, appraiser and mortgage broker that all conspired to sell a product worth twice what any house in the area was worth. Morals have gone out the window on all fronts these days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
"Sometimes, only the courts of law stand to protect the taxpayer. Somewhere, someone has to stand up. Well, sometimes is now, and the place is the Great State of Georgia. The defendant's motion to dismiss is hereby denied."
Quote:
"This court cannot imagine why U.S. Bank will not make known to Mr. Phillips, a taxpayer, how his numbers put him outside the federal guidelines to receive a loan modification.

Taking $20 billion of taxpayer money was no problem for U.S. Bank. A cynical judge might believe that this entire motion to dismiss is a desperate attempt to avoid a discovery period, where U.S. Bank would have to tell Mr. Phillips how his financial situation did not qualify him for a modification.

If Phillips didn't qualify, why didn't the bank say so with "mathematic equations, pie charts, and bar graphs, all on 8 by 10 glossy photo paper, with circles and arrows and paragraphs on the back explaining each winning number"?

"Maybe U.S. Bank no longer has any of the $20 billion left, and so their lack of written explanation might be attributed to some kind of ink reduction program to save money. Clearly, U.S. Bank cannot take the money, contract with our government to provide a service to the taxpayer, violate that agreement, and then say no one on earth can sue them for it. That is not the law in Georgia."

With plenty of sarcasm.... a tiny example of banks' morality.

http://boingboing.net/2011/11/26/jud...me-sarcas.html

Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No more than the realtor, appraiser and mortgage broker that all conspired to sell a product worth twice what any house in the area was worth. Morals have gone out the window on all fronts these days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot

Some of us still have a conscience and have to look in a mirror each morning to shave.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.