Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

ZTR vs Stander

I currently have zero turns and am thinking about trying a grandstand. Give me a little feed back about this. Everyone has opinions and I want to hear them. Thanks
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go with a Wright Stander.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
I'd go with a Wright Stander.
why, give me something else besides that.
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just trying to give you some good advise.
Do a search, you can find lots of opinions on why some people prefer standers, and Wright Standers are the best balanced.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Demo,demo,demo and demo some more
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wright are the best balanced (but not the best cut), john deere best cut(but are too heavy) great dane which are great but really suck in the spring (clumping) im using a toro grandstand now and think its the best overall, hold hills great, cuts great, nice machine.
toro is best overall
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/28hp John Deere 757 zero turn
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22"/6.5hp Honda HRT216 push
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Since you asked specifically about the GrandStand, I'll give you my take on standers versus zero turns.

I demo'd an eXmark Vantage (eXmark version of the GrandStand) the last two weeks of our mowing season as I'm starting to look for a replacement for my oldest Cub zero turn...the following is my unbiased opinion; please keep in mind other than this stander, I have never run or even looked over any other brand. There may be better and there may not!!!!

First impressions: As I got on the machine, I instantly noticed how comfortable the controls seemed to be placed as well as an OUTSTANDING view, especially compared to my z's. Being up further off the ground didn't seem like a big deal, but once you get on it and spend just a few minutes you'll appreciate being able to see so much better. This for me is worth having to stand over sitting. If you can't see well, you can't mow well.

After the first yard: If you've run a zero turn for more than a half hour, running this machine will come very naturally. It takes no learning whatsoever, just a slight adjustment to the difference in controls. Adjustment meaning getting used to how they react as far as touchiness and speed, not adjustment as in what the heck does this thing do and how does it do it. At this point I'm liking the machine fairly well and it's mowing very nicely.

After the first week: Ok, over the course of the day, I've put about 7 hours on the machine. I've mowed some hills, some flat stuff, some more hills, and more flat stuff. On flat level ground, I had my business partner, who is a decent operator, on a zero turn, and me on the Vantage. We split the yard right in half like we do every week and started mowing. By the end of the yard, approximately 3 acres total, I finished 7 minutes faster than normal. He finished at the same time as he normally does. So at this point, I was convinced that this machine could keep up with and likely out perform a zero turn with the identical sized deck.

Our next few took us onto hilly lawns; this is where my opinion took a drastic turn for the worse...in the beginning. I was under the impression that the Vantage is a suitable replacement for a walk behind. After the first hilly lawn, I would not agree (and to this day I would not REPLACE a walk behind with one of these machines). But after some practice, some slip and slide, and some pucker moments, I got the hang of running it on hills. My salesman said, "if it gets really hilly, flip the foot platform up and follow behind walking." I say BULLSHIT! You (at least I did) have much more control standing on the platform; this allows you to lean to the correct direction as you're mowing along the hill. There is no way I'd mow with the foot platform up on hills versus down and on it. It takes much of the control that you have away if you're walking behind the machine.

From my two weeks of experience on hills, I would take this machine on ANY hill I'd consider taking a zero turn on, and I'd take this one on steeper and wetter ones. There are some lawns I mowed with it in the rain and other slick conditions that I would only mow on a zero turn in nice weather. It greatly increased our productivity, because I was able to mow 2 yards in the same time it took me to mow 1 with my walk behind. These are hilly lawns, keep in mind, and being mowed while either raining or slick from previous rain or dew.

After the demo ended: I plan to phase out my current lineup of zero turns as they age and need replacement. This machine gave us much more flexibility when conditions went for the worse and still allowed for excellent productivity. Maintenance requirements are much lower and less frequent, and the machine is more fuel efficient. As I said earlier, I will not replace my walk behind with one of these machines; there will always be a walk behind on my trailer, but definitely not likely to have any more zero turns.

The productivity, ease of use, low maintenance, low fuel consumption, and outstanding learning curve all make this a fairly easy decision for me, since this machine is comparatively priced to my current Cub zero turns as well as a comparable eXmark Lazer Z. I don't know any reason for my current and potential future route to have a zero turn with all the great benefits of this machine, and with no down sides that I can find (except for standing vs sitting, which I've already explained is a great benefit) to own a zero turn. Granted, if I were mowing large acreages over flat or relatively flat spaces my opinion would be different. But that's not my current route, and that's not going to be my future route either so it's a non issue.

I highly encourage you to demo one, not for a few minutes at a dealer, but actually get one and take it and mow your current schedule for a week or two before you make a decision. Let the machine speak for it's self, don't try to make a decision for it. Ultimately, your route will decide if it's the right fit for you. I know it did me.

Good luck!

'07 Dodge C/C; quadcab flatbed; Western 8.5 Pro;

'04 Dodge quadcab; Western 8.5 Pro Plus; Western wings; Boss TGS 1100; Ebling if I hit the lottery!

'06 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '11 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '10 Cub Cadet H1748 walkbehind; Stihl handhelds

'10 Timberwolf TW-5; '08 Kawasaki Teryx; for the firewood...conveyor in the works
Old 11-28-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealer loaned me a Vantage when my Turf Tracer was in shop, appreciate a loaner. This was my 1st experience with a stander. Most of the posts here said --they will do most anything a walkbehind will do. Wrong in my case. Maybe on flat ground, not the hills we have here. I'm sure some of it was due to my lack of experience with unit. Cleaned my pants the 1st hill I went down.

2002 chevy
10 foot trailer
16 foot trailer
Exmark 52" Turf Tracer
Echo 210
Echo 230
PB 251 (2)
Echo 770
Lawn Solutions Turf Revitalizer
Lawn Solutions Aerater
Cyclone Rake

Improvise, Adapt & Overcome
Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i had problems on hills at first also, but i lowered the tire pressure to 8 and boy it was like using a different mower. the whole lifting up the platform and walking behind it a bunch of crap. just make sure you adjust the deck.
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/28hp John Deere 757 zero turn
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22"/6.5hp Honda HRT216 push
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if you have a Wright dealer in your area but if you do then I would try to demo a Sport X which is like a stander but with a seat on the back. I run a sentar sport and a Sport X. I demoed a stander for a few days and didnt like standing all the time. With the seat back there you can sit or stand, I sit 80% of the time and love these machines. 4 years ago I got rid of my midmount ZTR.
Wright Sentar Sport 52/19
Custom built bagging system
Lesco 36/13 WB
Billygoat 18hp truckloader
Bluebird plugger
Lesco split drive plugger
Lesco stainless steel spreader
Stihl BR600
Echo PB-620
assortment of chainsaws,weedeaters,hedge trimmers,sprayers and such