Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,125
ISA Exam-Questions for those that have passed.

For those that are or have been certified arborists, what are the main areas I should focus on for the exam......

The exam is not until April, so I have plenty of time to study. I am going to read every chapter in the book, as I feel everything is important, but what are the MAIN areas I should focus on??

Thanks in advance, and Happy Turkey Day to all!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
For those that are or have been certified arborists, what are the main areas I should focus on for the exam......

The exam is not until April, so I have plenty of time to study. I am going to read every chapter in the book, as I feel everything is important, but what are the MAIN areas I should focus on??

Thanks in advance, and Happy Turkey Day to all!
Diamond

Study Everything It is not an easy exam. There are Exam Pass classes. If I hadn't taken the class I never would past.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 PM
ArenaLandscaping ArenaLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 230
This might help you out:http://www.isa-arbor.com/Certificati...edArborist.pdf

The certification examination is weighted in the following manner:
I. Soil Management…………………………….…..9%
II. Identification and Selection……………………..9%
III. Installation and Establishment…………………..9%
IV. Safe Work Practices…………………………….12%
V. Tree Biology……………………………………12%
VI. Pruning…………………………………………13%
VII. Diagnosis and Treatment………………….……..9%
VIII. Urban Forestry…………………………….…..…8%
IX. Tree Protection…………………………….……..9%
X. Tree Risk Management………………….……...10%
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2011, 08:37 AM
RoyalTree RoyalTree is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: miami fl
Posts: 155
The test is pretty evenly divided. For me the test was very basic but it depends on what your prior knowledge is. You should atleast know certain areas like ident. safety and pruning from everyday work. Most people i talk to have problems with biology.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Eric E Eric E is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 70
Read the CURRENT Study guide and answer the sample questions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
South Florida Lawns's Avatar
South Florida Lawns South Florida Lawns is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,775
You gonna start up a tree service?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
You gonna start up a tree service?
No, but I do a lot of oaks and canopy trees for current customers. I just want to be as educated as I can in the care and maintenance of hardwoods.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
No, but I do a lot of oaks and canopy trees for current customers. I just want to be as educated as I can in the care and maintenance of hardwoods.
Posted via Mobile Device
Diamond

Once you pass sell your services to any and all tree services in your area. The reason is many Tree bids require a certified arborist to sign off. Most arborist with a tree service are not going to sign off for a competitive company. I made some extra lunch money signing off on tree work for other companies. Tree Work was the one thing I got out of quickly because of insurance costs.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Diamond

Once you pass sell your services to any and all tree services in your area. The reason is many Tree bids require a certified arborist to sign off. Most arborist with a tree service are not going to sign off for a competitive company. I made some extra lunch money signing off on tree work for other companies. Tree Work was the one thing I got out of quickly because of insurance costs.
Thanks for the info-didn't know that. I only take on tree work I can do with a ladder. No grinding, buckets, etc. The insurance for that aspect is way higher than if you were to just use ladders. I won't turn away palm/hardwoods that I can comfortably do, it's good money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Thanks for the info-didn't know that. I only take on tree work I can do with a ladder. No grinding, buckets, etc. The insurance for that aspect is way higher than if you were to just use ladders. I won't turn away palm/hardwoods that I can comfortably do, it's good money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mangrove trimming is a biggie here for a Certified Arbortist to sign off on. A Certified Landscape Architect must pull the Permit. It is a case where you need a permit to get a permit.

Don't do what I did and give away your services. I finally got tired of renewing my cert and let it drop. Then when my free loading friends realized I no longer could sign them off they offered to pay if I would re-test for the cert. I told them Too Late now you should have been paying me all along.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.09931 seconds with 7 queries