Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Brush cut 1 1/2 acres

S300 with a brush cutter... how long should I expect it to take me? If someone wants to through a number out there too for what it would go for I would appreciate it
Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

typically brush cutting goes by the hour but I would need a min of $350 for moving the machine and doing any work. I always just charge 300 for getting it there and back.

Just over an hour, are you high flow? and how thick is the area your cutting?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to rent the attachment too. Sadly not high-flow some areas have a little standing water so I hope the machine will do ok. Nothing bigger than 2 inches...
Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not put a wheeled machine in a area with standing water especially with a heavy brush cutter on the front
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kajun is right, don't put a wheeled machine near water. That thing will get stuck so fast you'll be sorry. To get it out you will need a dozer. I have stuck my 4000lb 4x4 tractor and needed a tracked steer to get me out. 4x4 truck would'nt budge it. A s300 weighs 8-9000lbs no way a truck would get it unstuck.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as time to finish the job there is no way we can tell you how long it would take. For example 2 different properties I have one is 20 acres and the other is 12 acres the 20 acres I can finish in one day about 11hrs. the other 12 acre piece takes over 24 total hrs. just because it is so rough you have to go so slow so it won't bounce you out of the seat. Both of these are mowed with a 6ft brush cutter behind a 35 hp tractor. Normal for that cutter I can do on average about 2 acres per hr. For cutting of this type in my area of FL we get $40-50 hr. for skid steer work it has dropped do much in our area that I have seen it advertised for $35 hr.

Last edited by Johnagain; 11-25-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnagain View Post
As far as time to finish the job there is no way we can tell you how long it would take. For example 2 different properties I have one is 20 acres and the other is 12 acres the 20 acres I can finish in one day about 11hrs. the other 12 acre piece takes over 24 total hrs. just because it is so rough you have to go so slow so it won't bounce you out of the seat. Both of these are mowed with a 6ft brush cutter behind a 35 hp tractor. Normal for that cutter I can do on average about 2 acres per hr. For cutting of this type in my area of FL we get $40-50 hr. for skid steer work it has dropped do much in our area that I have seen it advertised for $35 hr.
I profit $50/hr doing maintenance solo; $70/hr profit with 2 men... is competition this bad for you now? People really bidding brush cutting for $35/hr???? They have to work for hundreds of hours before their machine is paid for, then it breaks... HAHA

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 11-26-2011, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Metal over the tire tracks, it will turn your machine into a beast. The only time I take mine off are for the winter. I can't stand my machine without I don't know how people run a tire machine in dirt and push anything without. You can find them real cheap on craigslist or buy them on ebay new for around 1200.
I run these on my s250
http://www.loegering.com/tracksystems/F-Series.asp

Your machine will get stuck much sooner than you'd expect, and when having an attachment on the front it makes it that much harder to push yourself like you would with the bucket. How much is the rental for the brush cutter?

Last edited by newtostone; 11-26-2011 at 02:33 AM.