Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
You would make $16-$22 an hour here. Bare min $800 a week on salary for those kind of hours.
But I am sure his housing cost along with many other of life's other major expenses will tend to be much higher too. Central FL has a affordable cost of living compared to much of the eastern cost of the U.S - the down side is that wages are generally lower.

To the OP. My advice for you would be to maybe start back on your own picking up accounts close to home that you can knock out during your off days if they are consistent and would allow you to do these accounts in a proper manner.

Then when you can break back out on your own - and you have these accounts to at least help while you get reestablished. Sounds like you got burned before as you said with all your eggs in one basket, so maybe stick with residential where there is a little more loyalty and if you lose one account it is not going to send you back out of the business.
I feel if you are willing to give it another go - you will and I would bet that you know that you can far exceed your current salary in a years time, although the getting established period will be rough, I have no doubt that you can do it if your have good salesmanship and good service to back it up.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe i misunderstood something here. But you said you were an owner/operator. Therefore you are getting paid by each account. I believe labor laws generally do not apply owners. You almost sound like a sub-contractor.

With that being said, if you were are an employee, we start foreman at $600.00/week and go up from there based on performance, crew size, length with company, etc. They average about 45 to 60 hours a week during the season. They get health insurance, 1 week paid vacation, and company cell phone. They also work year round in the shop during the winter and plowing. They average 30hrs a week in the winter at their normal pay rate. They also get paid for plowing time.

Our foreman also are included in management discussions regarding company policy, etc. they choose crew members, they discipline crew members, which are all legal requirements if they are too be "salaried".
'05 chevy 2500 pu
'06 chevy w4500
'07 chevy w4500
'08 ford f-450 dump
'08 ford f-450 dump
'08 ford f-250 pu
'08 chevy avalanche
'09 chevy 3500
'97 & '10 new holland skid steers
'07 toro dingo
19 - scag tiger cubs,hydro walkbehinds
1 - turfco 3000