Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-26-2011, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for the double post. I might be able to use a Cat 246 that I use at the greenhouses where I work. Would that machine be good for trenching and brush cutting, they only use for lift and carry jobs. It has standard flow hydrolics on it. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

liability insurance is for hitting things and protecting your customer's property. If you run over a septic or damage something YOU cannot afford to replace, that is what insurance is for. Some policies have PIP protection too for injuries to people or sub contractors while on site.

AWJ was right about the business license. Sales tax is a separate issue. Dont' get caught performing taxable services without a sales tax permit.. you can end up with a frozen bank account or worse if the comptroller suspects you knowing avoided the permit. Some contractors around here are finding out the hard way that the comptroller has about as much power as the IRS to freeze accounts and assess penalties. Big deal for me...since I do a lot of tree work. Our industry is scrutinized, I guess because of the guys taking cash and not reporting.. It's a hassle and it sucks but some services are taxable and if you are doing enough then you need to be insured.
Oh, more and more municipalities are requiring licenses. For example the biggest city near me is San Antonio, TX. A lot of smaller cities require a separate license.. HEADACHE to comply with each and every municipality but the fines suck or worse, you can get shut down. If you want to do trees in some cities you have to take a stupid class.. I could teach some of the class and still have to take it!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information yellowdog. Can you clear up what taxable services are? And do you guys think 130-150hrs running a skid steer is a fair amount of hours and enough practice and experience to start something like this?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Different states have different laws on sales tax. here in Ga we pay sales tax only on material profits not labor.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Different states have different laws on sales tax. here in Ga we pay sales tax only on material profits not labor.
In Idaho nothing we perform is subject to sales tax. However we have to pay sales tax or use tax on materials. Got audited some years ago, a topsoil supplier I was using was not charging me sales tax, so I got to go back and back pay all the sales/use tax due. Not fun.

Moral of the story is know what the rules are in your area.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
In Idaho nothing we perform is subject to sales tax. However we have to pay sales tax or use tax on materials. Got audited some years ago, a topsoil supplier I was using was not charging me sales tax, so I got to go back and back pay all the sales/use tax due. Not fun.

Moral of the story is know what the rules are in your area.
Wouldn't that be on the supplier to pay the state the sales tax he did not charge?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ksss I'll be sure to do that. That sucks that you got audited, is there anything else I should now? Is the best way to get the word out by telling people your doing something like this, or advertise it?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Wouldn't that be on the supplier to pay the state the sales tax he did not charge?
Depends. Different states have different laws for sales tax but bottom line is someone will pay.LOL
Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Yea they fined him as well, then audited all his books, it was like a bad case of the Clapp.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Cat_246B;4227856]Thanks Ksss I'll be sure to do that. That sucks that you got audited, is there anything else I should now? Is the best way to get the word out by telling people your doing something like this, or adverti

There are countless numbers of books written and people that spend large portions of their lives in academia trying to slay the marketing dragon. My take is, especially when starting out, you need to get the word out. Networking is always helpful but once you have exhausted your circle of influence you need to have something in place to go beyond that. I suggest reading up on the topic, use media that is cheap or free, such as fliers, Craigs list, set up a basic website at first, print up some business cards and post them everywhere. Yellowpages can help but its expensive and requires a commitment. If your just feeling this thing out at first, I would maybe try and work without the YP for a while.

I think everyone on this site has their own take on this topic and the collective experience here could fill a very good book. Some general suggestions from me are. Until you get an idea of what your doing, work for an hourly rate, dont get in overhead. Be easy to work with. Realize that you will not make money on every job you do when your starting out; that it takes a lot of experience running equipment and running a business to actually make money at it.

Like the old John Wayne saying goes "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgement".