Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

waterfall on a 1/3 acre pond

This site has been a little barren lately so I thought id throw some pics up so everyone can bash them lol..

This job was little interesting the homeowner had purchased everything before we started so I basically was limited with the materials(liner hosing pumps etc.) on hand. I had know say so in the materials that another company had supplied them with. Also we used all the stone on site. They had a strict budget to stay with in lol. I was thinking to myself come on you just dug a 1/3 acre and now your penny pinching on the falls! lol

Last pic a little blurred Im sure tad will comment on my photography skills lol.. Anyways fire away..
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Who am I to complain about photography skills when I use a digital camera that I picked up for $13.50.

About the project....perhaps it was because you were limited by the size of the pump, but I think that it would have looked nicer (and more natural) if you had widened the stream as it approached the pond. You would have avoided the 'funnel shaped' appearance.
Still a good job considering the limited materials and budget.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea the pumps were a little small for my taste they were 2 8600 sequence pumps n they spent a ton on them and didnt wanna go any bigger. There is only about 9000-10000 gph of water flow. There was 25ft of head and the homeowner couldnt understand why there wasnt anymore flow than what there was. Only took an hour of explanation of why and they werent too pleased saying they spent the money on these pumps. O well hands are tied when your not involed in the materials aspect of it. I really hate being tied down on jobs and have to take the brunt of the customer as to why they were sold this n that lol...
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been there. I do my best to avoid jobs like this. Under the pretext of saving money, people such as these will listen to all the wrong people, including unscrupulous (and usually ill-informed) suppliers whose only venture into the Green industry is cutting their own grass....TO THE WRONG HEIGHT! Then when problems arise, suddenly our experience (which wasn't worth considering earlier) is now called upon to perform miracles.

From the start, I let these people know that although my usual rates are competitive, miracles are considerably more expensive.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turner how are you housing the pumps?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

The pumps are postion on the side of the pond on a concrete pad with a faux insulated rock is covering them. The intakes are about 15' out into the water. I did manage to talk them into intake sleds on which the intake screens are placed on. These pumps are self priming.. (no additional exterenal prime pots connecting to the pump).
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's kinda what I thought. I've never installed anything but submersible pumps. I've been asked to do some of this type builds but budgets never work out. I was going to treat them as a Pondless in a sense of building a holding pit for the pump or pumps and hide them with boulders.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not an expert, but I don't think it looks natural. As tadpole said, the stream is way to narrow. Maybe it would look better, if you somehow split the stream as it comes into the pond.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

With the pump limitations the size of the stream becomes limited again I would have preferred pumps in the 12000gph range however that wasnt in the plan with them. Sequence pumps are nice but pricey. Once the plantings fill in it will look better as well. Right now its just naked.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Theres a lot of work involved if you build a pit for out of water pumps adjacent to natural pond. If you get a self primed pump and its on the edge of the pond you should be fine and there is less cost involved. It has to be a selfprimed pump though meaning its all in one primepot and pump. Exteranal pots connected to a pump technocially are not self priming. These types tend to lose their prime constantly. To offset you have to install a check valve into the line so there is always water present in the line and no air.