Register free!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

at least the upper herringbone is square to the house but the lower portion is not. that whole job is trashed. IU doubt it will be finished right either.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I know who did the original job, a very reputable company, up until a few years ago, when the son took it over from the father. I know for a fact that he has as a few outstanding bills at some stone yards, $125,000+ at one I know of. Name means nothing whether trying to make a name or have an established name, quality of work is the most important thing.

Back to my original question, I know the house has to breath, however I don't want anymore water to get in between the house and steps. Can I build right up to the vinyl or should I pull it off, I know the SA (smart a$$) said case by case, what would you do in this case?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_scaper70 View Post
I know who did the original job, a very reputable company, up until a few years ago, when the son took it over from the father. I know for a fact that he has as a few outstanding bills at some stone yards, $125,000+ at one I know of. Name means nothing whether trying to make a name or have an established name, quality of work is the most important thing.

Back to my original question, I know the house has to breath, however I don't want anymore water to get in between the house and steps. Can I build right up to the vinyl or should I pull it off, I know the SA (smart a$$) said case by case, what would you do in this case?
You pitch the stoop so the water flows AWAY. If you look at a concrete stoop of a tract home, the stoop usually has about 1.5" fall. If pitched correctly, water WILL flow away.

Water flows downhill.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_scaper70 View Post

you need to install flashing. if you don't know correctly how to do it.... talk to your local siding supplier and get a reputable sub contractor to flash it for you.

the only exception would be if you built a wall along the back edge of the stoop with a 1 inch air gap between the stoop and the house. in addition keep a 1 inch air gap between the pavers and the house. then i would say no flashing required.

i am going this afternoon to look at a stoop repair job. the concrete was abutting the porch and the rim board has begun to rot out.

masonry is a sponge. the whole water flowing downhill thing is garbage. our roofs are sloped far more than a stoop and yet they are still flashed. capillary action is a marvelous thing.

i have a feeling DVS is being a bit devious.