Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When do you decide to call it a day?

I'm just wondering what others do on fall cleanups when you finish a job at lets say 3:30 p.m. and know that you only have another hour of daylight left, and it's not enough time to do any of the jobs on your list. Do you head to a new job and work until it's dark and then come back the following day or just call it a day and hit the next job tomorrow? I tend to just call it a day rather than head there to work for a short period of time just to have to load up and leave. It does depend somewhat on what I'm doing...I've found that I really don't need much light if I'm just using the blowers but I will not run my mowers unless I have sufficient light.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quitting at 3:30 would make me very upset losing just one clean up is not something I take lightly cause over 20 -25 fall work days that can add up. Yesterday was Sunday and I can not dump my leaf boxes so the plan was to have one close to empty. But due to a unexpected 50 yards of leaves the day before I went into Sunday with less room then I hoped so by 2 pm I had to call it a day because we had no room for more leaves.

Now we will blow off lawns till around 4:45 after that it gets difficult to see if your getting all of it out of the lawns. But we will vac up piles past 6 some nights and I can mow well past 5 I don't need a lot of light to mow you can learn to do it from memory. Which I learned to do long ago when I use to work for my last boss he would always keep me on a back pack till dark and only then let me mow.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have a place I can always go when I quit early...my back acreage. It's mostly wooded but I have about 1/2 mile of roadway, a bunch of trails/fire breaks and some clearings. It's in pretty good shape now as far as leaves but I still have hurricane cleanup to do. When I ran a leaf vac I did tend to work later but really have no use for one now unless I go chasing piles.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I turn down piles when asked to come by and vac them up and that happens a lot twice in the last 3 days. The vac trucks are for my clean ups only but it never seizes to amaze me how often some one thinks I'm going to interrupt a 4 or 5 man crew to suck up a 50-100 dollar pile on the other side of town.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have quit as early as 2:30 this time of year, it depends what Iam doing - blowing leaves at or 2:30 or 3 I will fill the tank one more time, that gives me 1.25 hours. If its power equipment with sharp edges, unless I have had an easy day I pack up - I often think that trying to squeeze one more thing in at the end of the day when you are beat anyways is a recipe for an accident.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hate to start a leaf cleanup on one day and finish it the next day because it seems that leaves will always fall or blow onto the area aleady done from the day before.

But work load, weather forecast, and is there a small job that you can do in the time left such as trim bush or cut off a tree limb all have to be figured in.

Thing is many people work 10+ hr days during the summer. So they should not feel lazy if they have a short day in the fall.

Though in the end is the amount of clean ups you have to do verses the amount of days you have to get them all done must be considered.

I happy to be done doing a clean at 2pm because the town yard waste/mulching center closes at 2:45 pm. And my work load is not heavy.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will not start a residential that i wont finish but i surely will start a large commercial that i wont.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't start anything new at 3:30. I would just empty the truck, get gas....bascially get all together for the next day.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I personally like a head-start to the next day. More money in the pocket.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
I will not start a residential that i wont finish but i surely will start a large commercial that i wont.
Yeah...I did that over the weekend at a factory I do...blew the heavy accumulations on the lawn on Saturday until dark and went back for the mow on Sunday.