Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason the running lights are not working on my trailer The blinkers and brake lights work just not the running lights. so i end right before it gets dark so i can get home without getting pulled over for no running lights lol
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyway, today was an easy call...I was finishing up a cleanup as it started to rain and get dark. That's the kind of definitive end to a day that I like, lol.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very easy call today nearly 4 pm and it started to rain we finished a 2nd large clean up mins before time to go home.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Anyway, today was an easy call...I was finishing up a cleanup as it started to rain and get dark. That's the kind of definitive end to a day that I like, lol.
worked in the woods all day under grey skies and a warm breeze,, every once in a while a mist blew in, at 3:30the sun came out - went home!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this time of year 330 hits the sun starts sinking pretty quick-I'll finish up, but won't start another. 7+ inches of rain this month hasn't helped.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where I was working yesterday, there is a clay line about a foot down so the water has to evaporate cause it has no where to go - I get soaked walking across the lawn to get to the woods in back - my winter project.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My last guy was finally available to start work with us today and that changed our quit times now we have 5 guys so even at 4 pm we can bang out a 5 man hour job. Which is what we did tonight to bad it was practically a swamp but we figured better to do it now cause if its that wet after 6 dry days I would hate to see it after the next 3 rain days we got. But it was nice to knock out 5 clean ups today all good sized ones we brought in 1800 our new 1 day clean up record.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
My last guy was finally available to start work with us today and that changed our quit times now we have 5 guys so even at 4 pm we can bang out a 5 man hour job. Which is what we did tonight to bad it was practically a swamp but we figured better to do it now cause if its that wet after 6 dry days I would hate to see it after the next 3 rain days we got. But it was nice to knock out 5 clean ups today all good sized ones we brought in 1800 our new 1 day clean up record.
Nice but I do that working a 5 hour day solo. I wrapped up at 4:30 today, just about right for me. It was hard to see by then due to fog...I was down by the water. Got a late start though.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are your really just solo darryl? God bless you if you are I think I worked solo 10 days this season between employees and god I hate that. Yes I can mow 500-600 a day solo but it just drains the life out of you rather make 750-900 on a 2 man crew and get out of all that weed wacking.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a family business but mostly just me. My older son (17) is my trimmer/blower guy in summer and my welder/mechanic helper. Wifey is supposedly the office manager but not in reality...she handles a lot of the phone calls and that's about it. Nice to have her on dispatch for plowing though. My little guy (14) does odds and ends for me and I'm TRYING to get him trained on string trimming...not going so well. He's good for hedge job cleanups and loading brush. He's a BIG kid, over 6 foot already and pretty strong. He takes a bit too much supervision though.

The tough part for me is Spring when my sons are still in school, cleanups to do, mowing, mulching and all that. I'm a pretty intense guy and don't mind being sore from a hard day's work. I'm a former bicycle racer, cross country runner and long distance backpacker (3K+ miles) so I handle it pretty well. A 25 pound backpack blower ain't squat when you've hiked out west along the Continental Divide with 1 to 3 weeks of supplies on your back at a time, lol. Of course, that was 3 decades ago.......