Register free!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Angry Bad sod out of the Glades

Took delivery of seven pallets of Floratam. About 25% of the sod was infested with fungus. I saved the turf and brought it back to the nursery. They told me they couldn't take it back.

Had to eat the cost of replacing the bad turf and having the rest treated... guess I'm not doing business there anymore, but just out of curiosity; has anybody received bad sod recently? I mean I've gotten it with a couple of grubs, but... WTF?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've gotten bad stuff from time to time. But never had anyone say they would not take it back. If you are dealing with a nursery or broker, you never know where it's coming from. One time it may look like carpet, the next it looks like it was submerged in water for days. About the biggest aggrevation this year was 3 pallets of Seville. Hidden in the middle of every pallet was piles of scraps. Wasted hours taking it back and getting more. Haven't dealt with that place since.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've gotten bad stuff from time to time. But never had anyone say they would not take it back. If you are dealing with a nursery or broker, you never know where it's coming from. One time it may look like carpet, the next it looks like it was submerged in water for days. About the biggest aggrevation this year was 3 pallets of Seville. Hidden in the middle of every pallet was piles of scraps. Wasted hours taking it back and getting more. Haven't dealt with that place since.
Where was this??? It seems its pretty common practice to have a pile of fungus when you buy sod here.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, a place you would probably know about. On 441, near Lee Road.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
It seems its pretty common practice to have a pile of fungus when you buy sod here.
Do they take it back?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yo Guys

Fungus on sod is going to be fairly common this time of year. We are in the perfect temperature range. The longer it sits on the pallet the more likely you are to have to treat for it. Learn to deal with it if you are going to call yourself a professional.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also it has been my experience that glades sod = muck sod and muck sod is much more likely to have outbreak of BP . Not sure if that is accurate and true for all but I can tell you that it has been my experience.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know I'll have issues with some of the sod off a pallet, whether it's grubs, weeds or fungus; that's normal and I deal with it. I've never received sod so heavily infested, and then not to swap it out? That's really my issue, I've been dealing with this guy for seven years.

When I buy turf, I buy it there even if it's $5.00 cheaper down the road. He's got my credit card on file, I call him, he gets paid on the spot, he ships. I've trusted him, I've been a loyal and good customer and then to stick it to me on a bad load of sod? That ain't right.

I can imagine he got stuck with a boat load himself (that's not my problem) and so, like a turd, it rolls down hill to me. If I stuck my customer with the sod, they'd be on me like the stink on the turd that rolled down hill and hit me.

I suppose I could blame it on the squirt guys for not treating it properly, but that ain't right either... is it?

I've dealt with it like a professional, I did the right thing for my client and now I'm venting...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say the majority of sod I have seen installed in the last 4-5 months has been riddled with fungus. We don't lay sod after may just for this reason. Not even worth it to have to deal with crappy sod, or having to have it treated right away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
I would say the majority of sod I have seen installed in the last 4-5 months has been riddled with fungus. We don't lay sod after may just for this reason. Not even worth it to have to deal with crappy sod, or having to have it treated right away.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're right. But after a summer like this, lot's of clients and HO's (not ghetto slang ) want to renovate their lawns and I need to keep men working. I know I'm going to have some problems and attrition this time of year.

I guess the degree all depends on who and where they get their turf from. Some of it comes with insects, weeds and pathogens pre-installed, no assembly necesary