Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
I love those big SaltDogg tailgate spreaders.
Paid for itself in 1 day! Bought 2 controllers so it goes on either truck with a plow. Great machine!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srl28 View Post
How do you like using the cab over trucks for maintenance crews? Luck with them? How do you have them setup, any pictures of them? We're strongly considering replacing a truck/trailer combo with one or 2.
The cab overs are great (with the exception of our Ford LCF's...horrible!) Our Chevy 4500's are great. We have one that is a single cab and holds 3 guys for a dedicated site truck on a big property we maintain. Its a 2001 and has 9k miles on it. It will hold (1) ztr, (2) walk behinds, (2) push mowers and we have racks for (3) string trimmers and a box for (4) br420's. We also have a crew cab that will hold 6-7 men, (2)ZTRs, (2) Walk Behinds, (2) push mowers, (1) parking lot blower and racks for (5) string trimmers and a box for (4) br420's. I will get pictures of them asap!

We like these better than a truck and trailer combo. We have hit everything from a gas pump to an $80k Mercedes with a truck and trailer. These takes a lot of "driver skill" out of the equation and they are very convenient when set up properly. The only thing we don't have that I wish we did are the on board fuel systems for regular and mix gas. We still tote 5 gallon metal cans everywhere and have the occasional slip up of putting regular in a 2 cycle piece of equipment.

Our Ford LCF's are set up very similar but I wish we never bought them. Nothing but headaches! There is a special program you have to buy in order to use a computer diagnostic system that costs an extra $5k. They have a downgraded version of the 6.0 powerstroke and are just an overall maintenance nightmare! DO NOT BUY A FORD LCF!! (rant over...)

Last edited by idealscape; 12-19-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Knew that about the Ford lcf. Like the look of them but have only heard a few goo things. And thanks for all the isuzu info! Please do get as many pictures as you can. The more the better, I know I'm not the only one on this site kicking around the idea of adding one or more of them to their fleet. The onboard fuel is an excellent idea and is a must I feel. Ever since we got on site tanks at our shop with gas and diesel in them I swear I'd somehow continue to get more and more effieicent and get rid of gas cans too! I swear we spill 30 gallons a year out of cans lol
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea we have an onsite fuel station as well. Very nice. We keep 2000gal of highway diesel, 1000gal off road diesel, 2000gal regular fuel and 250 Mix. It is monitored via a satellite fixture in our office and filled automatically when it gets low. This cut down on our trips to the gas stations which saved us numerous headaches involving accidents and theft.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealscape View Post
Yea we have an onsite fuel station as well. Very nice. We keep 2000gal of highway diesel, 1000gal off road diesel, 2000gal regular fuel and 250 Mix. It is monitored via a satellite fixture in our office and filled automatically when it gets low. This cut down on our trips to the gas stations which saved us numerous headaches involving accidents and theft.
Do you need a special permit to hold this much fuel at the shop and bury tanks to a certain depth? How long will the tanks last? I bet you guys go through some fuel. I agree gas stations are a nightmare and is where most accidents happen and where a lot of equipment gets missing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For that amount yes, most counties and even states will want some sort of permit, license, etc. Not sure about his area but God help me if I ever tried to have that amount of fuel on my lot in NJ!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I will check with guys who handle that stuff (not me) and get the proper answer to the permit question. I honestly don't remember. Tanks are above ground.

Last edited by idealscape; 12-19-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow man. Beautiful operation. I'm not self employed anymore, but seeing your business makes me really want to try again, although I know I shouldn't.

I wish we were closer...I think I might enjoy working for you.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just read through the whole thread. Top notch operation! I also think its great that you take time to answer questions. I'd be more than interested in taking classes from you if you ever started doing the seminar gig. Operations like this are inspiration for us younger/smaller guys working long hours and days and making sacrifices. Your operation is the dream that many of us are chasing, I'd be happy to be 1/2 that size. And last of all, I do have to laugh at the meyer plows! Very few guys up here run them, but i'm sure they are MORE than sufficient for the amount of snow you guys receive.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again for the compliments. OK, as far as the fuel tanks go this is what the managers are telling me. The tanks are not owned by us, they are owned by the fuel company. They do have inspections that are done by a third party. Obviously there is an emergency fuel shut off switch that was installed. It really is the way to go when you begin to run a large amount of vehicles. We are spending anywhere from $150-180k a year on fuel. (*this does not include the satellite fuel tanks we have on large projects.)

We also have a "green waste" service that works the same way. We have dumpsters on the yard for clippings, leaf debris and dead plant material. Once a week they are changed out for clean ones. Works out well for us.